Chapter 28: An intruder

Lana's POV

I'm a monster. I must be. How could I cheat on Melody? Why am I cheating on her? Did I miss something in my relationship with her? Often, when I wrote about a cheater, that was their main reason to cheat.

I blinked a few times before looking around me. The bus was packed, again. I hope I'll have enough time to get off this time. Yesterday I wasn't able to get off in time and I had to walk an extra 15 minutes to get home...

I sighed before looking outside again, the park disappeared out of view and I knew I was getting close to home. I'll see you tomorrow then? You will. I could hit myself for accepting her offer. We'd meet at her house, at 5 pm, after work. Why? What would we be doing?

I walked home, in the rain. It's as if the weather gods were showing me how disappointed they were in me. I failed them, and myself. And Melody.

"Hey Lana," Melody said as she welcomed me home. At least she was talking to me again, that was something. "How was work?"

I looked at her and immediately felt guilt rising. I gulped. "It was ok."

She nodded before motioning me to the dining table.

I sat down and watched her serve me my meal. A meal she had lovingly made for me. My wife. Who I was cheating on...

She sat down then too and we started eating. It was quiet for a while until she looked up at me. "What did you do at work?"

I shrugged. "I had to finish a report," I said to which she nodded. "I renewed our client base, stuff like that..."

She kept nodding before looking away. I wondered if she had changed too or if I only now was paying more attention to her behavior. Maybe she had always been this quiet. Maybe she had always been this distant. I don't know. And it upset me greatly.

After dinner, Melody and I watched tv. We watched a series Melody enjoyed watching. I didn't mind watching it with her, I just wanted to spend time with her.

At some point, Melody got up to go to the bathroom upstairs. While she was gone, I walked to the kitchen to get us some snacks and wine. I opened the cupboard and then noticed a shadow on the ground in front of me. I gulped as I closed the cupboard and simply looked at the ground, at the shadow.

The shadow didn't move and I knew this was Shax. I could feel it. Should I talk to it? Should I try to communicate with it?

My heart started beating faster before I turned towards the shadow, but there was no one. As my heart started calming down, I rubbed my eyes before going back to the cupboard.

I then walked back to the tv before I stopped dead in my tracks. A shadow was standing at the window. With its white creepy smile, I knew that was Shax.

I gulped before slowly walking backward. I started feeling uneasy near Shax, and I knew what that meant...

Right when I had put my foot down, for the first step backward, Shax launched at me. I dropped everything to the ground and started running away. I ran as fast as I could upstairs, to safety, to Melody.

I reached the top of the stairs and felt Shax getting near. I could feel its presence onto me.

I launched into the bathroom and tripped before falling onto the ground, right at Melody's feet.

"Lana?"

I looked up and noticed Melody on the toilet. I looked at the door and saw no one, Shax was gone...

"Lana?"

I looked at Melody again.

"What on Earth are you doing?"

I breathed deeply in and out, I tried calming down. I had never felt my heart beat so fast, I had never felt being chased after. And I never wanted to feel it again...

"Lana?"

I gulped. "I..." I then realized I couldn't justify my actions. I couldn't tell her about Shax. She'd think I'm crazy... "I thought I heard an intruder." So I lied, again...

Melody raised an eyebrow. "An intruder?" She looked up, to listen to the noises inside the house. "I only hear the tv."

I looked down.

"Why don't we go to bed?"

I looked at her and noticed her getting off the toilet, so I got up to give her room.

"What do you say?" She asked as she had washed her hands.

I slowly nodded.

"I'll go turn off the tv downstairs, you can wait in our room." She then left the bathroom. A few counts later, I heard her going down the stairs.

I let out a deep breath before making my way to our bedroom. I went to bed and laid down. But then, I spotted a familiar shadow at the window. No, not again...

I saw the door in the corner of my eyes but I couldn't bring myself to get up and run towards it. I somehow knew Shax would be able to get me no matter what I'd do now.

"P-please..." I whispered, gulping in the process. "Leave me alone."

It walked closer to me, step by step, so incredibly slow. The creepy smile was plastered onto its face and I knew nothing good would happen.

I did what I thought was my best option: I hid underneath my sheets. Somehow I felt safer here as if Shax wouldn't find me here. I knew I was wrong, but I couldn't undo it now.

As I was waiting for Shax to reach me, my heart started beating faster and my breathing increased drastically. I was shaking, I was blinking uncontrollably, I was just waiting for my undoing.

Then the sheets got pulled off me and I screamed.

"Hey," Melody pulled me in for a hug. "It's me."

And I was so relieved to see her. I wrapped my arms around her and pulled her so close, I finally felt safe again, for now. I felt my heart still beating incredibly fast, my breathing harsh.

"Lana," Melody made me look at her. "What's going on?"

I gulped. Should I tell her? Would she understand? Would I involve her in this crazy world?

"Lana?"

"I thought I heard that intruder again," I couldn't risk it. I knew she'd blame my stories again. "I was scared."

Melody caressed my face before smiling a bit. "It's ok," She leaned in and kissed my lips gently. "I'm here now."

I smiled back at her.

"I think you need to relax." She got up and smiled at me before slowly but sensually undressing.

I gulped as I saw her sensual dancing. My heart started beating again though, this time, for the right reasons.

She got back on top of me and from there, we made love like we used to. And I felt even more guilty...