Chapter 25: What's going on here?

Lana's POV

I had woken up at 5.45. I wanted to be sure to be ready for Stephanie. I tiptoed through the house. I didn't take a shower, I simply refreshed myself by the sink, to avoid waking up Melody. I had taken my clothes out after my call to Stephanie, at around 3.30 am.

When I was dressed, I went downstairs and had a quick breakfast. I ate by the window, I wanted to see Stephanie arrive. I didn't want her to ring the doorbell, even though I knew she wouldn't do that.

I was done, at 6.25, and I waited. I felt like a cat, observing the neighborhood as if looking out who'd come near my property.

"Are you sure this is a good idea?"

I looked to my right and spotted Bree. I immediately gave her all my attention. "What?"

She looked down, she seemed unsure to talk to me. "When I was with Wednesday, I cheated on her with someone else," She gulped before looking at me. "I knew it was wrong, but it felt right."

I gulped, hearing Bree talk about her story with Wednesday always send shivers down my spine. Especially since it didn't end well for her...

"So, are you sure this is a good idea?"

I gulped once more. "I'm not cheating on Melody," I said, gaining Bree's attention. "I'm simply going out with a friend."

Bree nodded but didn't seem convinced of my explanation.

"Bree," I reached up to caress her arm, the thought of her self-inflicted wounds came to my mind. "I'll be fine, I promise."

She looked at me, I could see a lot of thoughts were racing through her mind, but she nodded. "You'll do what's best for you."

I frowned then.

"I hope you enjoy your day out," She smiled a bit. "She seems nice, by the way," She said to which I tilted my head to the side. "Your new friend."

I smiled then. "She is," I nodded. "She really is."

Bree smiled and nodded, before vanishing into nothing. It always baffled my mind how they just disappeared and appeared out of nowhere. Almost like ghosts.

I got surprised by my phone buzzing. I took it and smiled before looking out the window, there I spotted Stephanie's car.

"Hey," She smiled at me as I entered her car. "Ready for today?"

I sat down and put my seatbelt on. "I am," I smiled at her. "I'm looking forward to it."

"So am I," Stephanie smiled even more. She looked at my seatbelt, which was fastened, before looking at me again. "Let's go."

"Let's."

_____________________________

Third person's POV

Melody stretched and released a deep breath. She had slept well, she felt content, she felt good. And today, things were about to get better. She was so happy Lana agreed to find a job, to find a real job. She couldn't be happier about it, and she was so happy they'd do it together. She realized that lately, she and Lana were drifting further away from each other. But thankfully last night showed how much they still loved each other.

Melody opened her eyes, expecting to see her wife there, but was surprised to see an empty spot next to her. She then found Lana's pillow pushed against her side as if mimicking a body. Melody frowned. What's going on here, she thought.

She got up and walked to the bathroom, maybe Lana was getting refreshed. But no one was there...

She then went downstairs, maybe Lana planned a surprise breakfast for her. But, when she arrived in the kitchen, her smile dropped. No one was there...

Melody frowned. She didn't understand this, where would Lana be and at this hour? She walked around the house, hoping to find a clue for Lana's whereabouts. She found nothing...

She sat down on the couch in the living room, she released a deep sigh. Then her eyes landed on the piece of paper with job offers, then it hit her: Lana ran from her responsibilities. But why? Melody was so convinced Lana agreed to find a job. She was truly confused.

She took her phone and called Lana, but she immediately reached voicemail... Melody sat there, with her phone in her hands, wondering where her wife had gone to...

_____________________________

Lana's POV

"To us." Stephanie smiled at me.

"To us," I repeated her toast before drinking from the cocktail she had ordered me. "Mmm."

"You like it?"

I nodded. "It's fruity," I took another sip. "I like it."

"I told you," She then smiled before looking in front of her, at nothing in particular, enjoying the sun. "This is great."

I smiled while I looked at her. "It is."

She looked back at me. "I meant the sun, the beach, the atmosphere."

"I know," I gulped. "Me too."

"Yeah right," She chuckled before looking away again while shaking her head. She put her arms behind her head, enjoying the sun on her skin. "I needed this," She breathed out. "I've been working too hard."

I looked away then, suddenly Melody came into my mind. She did all the effort to find job offers for me, she even went through them all... And I ran away from her...

"Hey," Stephanie came closer to me. "Are you alright?" She caressed my face then. "Is everything alright?"

I kept looking down. "I was just thinking about stuff," I then looked up at her. As I wanted to tell her everything that was on my mind, I lost all the ability to communicate. My mouth felt dry, my tongue seemed frozen or paralyzed, my mouth opened to speak but nothing came out... "I've got a lot on my mind, I guess."

She nodded. "You should relax," She showed me such a kind-hearted smile, it warmed me within myself. "You've been listening too much to what others tell you, you should listen to yourself."

I slowly nodded before I noticed just how close we were sitting. This is too close, or isn't it? Did I like this? I gulped before looking at Stephanie. "Steph, I - "

She smiled. "Nice nickname."

I smiled too.

"Lana," She caressed both my cheeks, rubbing them gently. "I know I shouldn't..." She didn't say anything then, she just looked at me.

"I know I shouldn't..." Then I knew we both were aware that this was not done, we were doing something we shouldn't be doing. Was I cheating on Melody?

Before I could say or do anything else, Stephanie leaned in and kissed me. And I didn't pull back.