Chapter 20: They care too much

Lana's POV

I put my phone back down onto the table, in front of me. I sighed deeply.

"Who was it?"

I looked at Wednesday. "Isaac," I sighed again. "Melody went by him to say I quit..."

Wednesday let out an unamused breath before shaking her head and looking away a bit. Bree, on the other hand, seemed very worried about me. She looked upset almost. "What now?" She asked.

I shrugged. "I know I'm not going to quit..." I sighed. "But I don't know how to deal with Melody anymore... It's like she's gotten worse lately..."

"Probably because you jumped out of the window," Bree said softly, gaining Wednesday's attention immediately. "When you are screaming something, people don't seem to care. But when you show them, they care too much..." She nodded slowly. "Bad things need to happen for people to wake up, unfortunately."

I gulped as I looked at Wednesday, realizing how hard this must be for her to hear all of this. Not only was she the person who died falling off a balcony, connected to a window, but she was also indirectly responsible for killing Bree in their story...

Bree shrugged. "The way I see it," She looked at me. "She cares a lot about you, she clearly wants a future with you. It's the only reason why she would keep going back to your job not being stable..."

Wednesday looked down, she was clearly overwhelmed with the words she was hearing from Bree. And I couldn't blame her, considering their story...

I looked at Bree. "How do I make it clear to her I'm fine? How do I make it clear I'm not suicidal and I just want to do what I love most?"

Bree seemed to think, she frowned a bit. "Wednesday always tells me how important it is to talk, as does Leila."

I nodded.

"Melody is worried, maybe you two should go out and spend some time together," Bree suggested. "Maybe all she needs is just some reassurance you're really fine."

I slowly smiled. "Maybe you're right," I then got up and walked to Melody's computer. I started looking things up before I found it. "There," I smiled as I nodded. "That'll do it."

Wednesday and Bree came closer to me and leaned in to look at the screen. They then looked at each other before looking at me.

"Are you sure that's what she wants?" Wednesday asked, she didn't seem convinced, but I was.

"Yep," I smiled more. "Mel has been talking about it ever since it opened."

"Order tickets then." Bree smiled, she clearly was more supportive though, at the same time, she was also more naive. I knew she would think everything would be alright, she had that 'happily ever after' mindset. Somehow, I admired that.

After 20 minutes, the front door opened. I looked up, from the couch where I was lying, and saw Melody enter. She seemed enraged. Isaac didn't exaggerate...

"Hey, Mel."

Melody let out a few breaths before looking at me. She noticed I was laying on the couch and walked to the living room. She looked at me.

I immediately pulled my legs away so she could sit down next to me, which she did immediately. "How are you?"

She didn't seem amused. It almost seemed as if she was getting angrier, and I really didn't know why.

I gulped before thinking back at the tickets I got us. I reached for them on the table. "Here," I handed them to her. "For you."

Melody looked at them, taking them from me. She then looked at me, her eyebrows raised. "Modern art gallery?"

I nodded while slowly showing a smile. "I thought we could go there together."

She smiled then. "I'd love that," She scooted closer to me. "This is amazing, Lana. Thank you."

"You're very welcome, Mel." I smiled at her as I saw her look at the tickets. She seemed in awe. She seemed really happy. Bree was right.

She looked at me, she seemed to think about something before looking at the tickets again. "When will we go?"

"Whenever you want."

She looked at me. "I'll go get changed and we can go."

"Sounds good."

____________________________

When we got back home, all Melody could talk about was our trip to the art gallery. Amazing, wonderful, inspiring, beautiful, great, terrific... Were just a few words about how she described our trip. And I was so glad she was happy again, because of me.

We were seated on the couch, in the living room. I was looking at her while Melody let out a deep breath. "I really enjoyed it," She looked at me. "I can't thank you enough."

I showed her a small smile before looking down. "I know I've been giving you a hard time lately," I gulped. "I made you worried about me and our future," I looked at her. "But I'm fine, and we're fine," I then reached for her hand, holding it in mine. "I wanted you to feel that today."

Melody smiled a bit and nodded. "I did," She looked down a bit. "Maybe I was a bit too harsh on you," She sighed. "I just don't want anything bad happening to you," She looked at me. "Because I love you."

"I love you too." I leaned in kissing her softly.

She smiled after the kiss before looking at the time. "It's getting late," She sighed. "I should get to the store for our groceries."

I slowly nodded. "Can I do something in the meantime?"

"No," She then guided me down to lay on my back. "You can rest, you need it," She kissed my forehead before getting up. "I'll hurry."

I laid there until I heard the door close. Then I smiled before getting up and taking Melody's computer with me to the couch. I opened it and continued writing the story. I had been working every day on it, I was almost halfway through. I loved it, I loved the journey I personally went through too. But I also hated it, as I knew I'd have to say goodbye to another story, once it's finished...

Then, my phone rang. I looked at the time before I answered. Melody has been gone for nearly 30 minutes, maybe she has a question?

I answered my phone, without looking at the caller ID. "Hey, did you forget to ask something?" I smiled, expecting to hear Melody.

"I did, actually." But my smile dropped a bit as I heard Dr.Hansen. Stephanie... I don't know what it is with her but she makes me feel things, different things. Maybe it's because I know she can understand my mental state in a way I can't myself... I don't know...

"Oh?" That was all I replied.

"I forgot to ask you when we can meet again," I didn't see her but I knew she was smiling, I could tell by the tone in her voice. "I haven't had dinner yet, do you want to join me again?"

I opened my mouth, but nothing came out.

Before I could answer, she went on: "I heard there's this new sushi place in town, maybe we can go there?"

I gulped. I didn't know what to do: have dinner with Melody and talk about our wonderful trip or have dinner with Stephanie and talk about my inner problem. Both sounded great, but both were so different.
I don't know what to do...