Chapter 18: Dinner

Lana's POV

Melody had gone straight to bed after our fight. She clearly didn't intend to have a proper conversation about it. At times like this, I wonder why I was trying to talk to her.

My decision is final, she said. What about me? I am a grown woman, I am entitled to choose for myself. She has no right to choose for me.
But what about our future? She's right, if we want to have a family, we do need a stable income...

I sat at the table and looked at nothing in particular, I was just engulfed with thoughts and doubts. If only I had someone to talk to... I got up and suddenly something fell out of my pocket. I knelt to pick it up and saw the card Dr.Hansen had given me. It's my personal phone number, call me anytime. I looked at the time. 7.25 pm, would I call her?

I nodded and took my phone. I dialed the number and waited. I gulped, I felt my heartbeat increase as I waited for her to answer. I didn't know why, but I felt really nervous as if I was doing something I shouldn't be doing...

"Hello?"

I gulped. "H-hello."

"Lana?"

I nodded, even though she couldn't see me. "I'm sorry." I didn't know why I was apologizing, I guess I thought I was interrupting her, maybe.

"Is there something wrong?"

I looked down, letting out a breath.

"Shall we meet?"

I looked up again. "Y-yes."

"Ok," I heard her getting up and moving around the house. "Where?"

"I..." I gulped. "I don't know."

"Have you eaten already?"

I then looked at dinner Melody had prepared. "No." I wasn't planning to eat that on my own.

"Ok, shall we go for dinner?"

"Sounds good."

"I'll text you the address."

_____________________________

We met at a local restaurant. I had been wanting to go here with Melody, but she was always too busy...

I was waiting in front of the restaurant, still wondering if I should really be here. Was this ok? Could we do this? If she says it's fine, it probably is, isn't it?

"Hey," Dr.Hansen arrived, greeting me with a kiss on my cheek. "You look great." She smiled.

I smiled too but was, once again, lost for words. She looked amazing! So different from during therapy...

"Shall we go inside?" She motioned to the restaurant.

I nodded.

We walked inside, she got us a table easily and we sat down. We went through the menu on our own. I couldn't help but notice the amazing choices they had here, why did Melody and I never come here before?

"So, what will you have?"

I looked at her. "I can't choose."

She smiled a bit. "Neither can I," She looked at the menu again. "It all sounds amazing."

I nodded.

"I think I'll have the filet mignon," She nodded before looking at me. "What about you?"

"I think I'll take the seabass."

"Excellent choice."

I looked down, blushing.

She ordered for us. While we waited, she kept looking at me as if I was the only one in this whole restaurant. It was different, I never had this before. I was never the one in the spotlight. "So," She eventually said. "What's wrong?"

I looked down. "Chelsea and Isaac have asked me when I can resume working," I said to which she nodded. "I told Melody I can write while still recovering at home but she exploded... She doesn't want me to be a writer anymore."

Dr.Hansen frowned. "Why is she so against it?"

I sighed. "Because it's not a 'real' job, because it's not a stable income, because I just sit at home..." I shrugged. "Anything will do to be against it."

She looked apologetic at me. "I'm sorry to hear that..." She then placed her hand on mine.

I looked at our hands, being together. Despite my better judgment, I didn't pull back. In fact, I smiled at her.

She smiled too. "You're very talented at what you do, Lana."

I simply looked at her. Did she know my stories? Did she read them?

"If you want to be a writer, you should. If you want to write a story, you should. If you want to continue working for Chelsea and Isaac, you should."

I slowly looked down. "I wish it was that easy..."

She leaned in, now holding both my hands. "Why is it not that easy?"

I looked at her before shrugging.

She nodded slowly.

I sighed. "Melody..." I looked down again, still not pulling my hands back. "I don't want to disappoint her..."

"Why would you disappoint her by being you?"

"I'm Lana," I recited Melody. "That's who I am."

"True," She said, gaining my attention. "You're Lana, you're an amazing author, you're very talented," She smiled then. "And you're very beautiful."

I gulped. "Thank you."

She smiled even more before pulling her hands back as our food was being delivered. "Thank you," She said to the waiter. Then she looked at me. "This looks delicious."

"It does." I immediately dug into my meal, I was starving.

"Well, that must be the most delicious fish ever," She said, gaining my attention. "Can I try?"

I then looked at my fish before nodding. She leaned in closer, opening her mouth. I gulped, realizing she wanted me to give her a piece. Melody would never do this. She's so different...

I fed her a piece, and she nodded. "That's good indeed," She swallowed the food. "Do you want to try mine too?" But, before I could reply, she came to me with her fork. She fed me a piece. "And, what do you think?"

I nodded. "It's amazing."

She smiled.

_____________________________

We arrived back at my house. "Here it is," Dr.Hansen said to which I nodded. "I really enjoyed tonight."

I looked at her. "Me too," I looked in front of me. "It was great food."

"It was," She let out a breath. "And great company."

I looked at her and noticed how close we were sitting. I gulped. "Thank you for tonight, doctor, I really appreciate it."

"Call me Stephanie," She smiled. "Especially if we're out as friends."

Friends... Were we friends? Was that allowed? I was so confused about this whole relationship yet I didn't seem to protest any of it. In fact, I enjoyed it. I enjoyed her company. But Melody... "Ok," I smiled. "Stephanie."

She nodded and smiled.

"Well, goodnight."

She nodded yet again while she watched me get out of the car.

I walked to my house and waved her goodbye until she was out of sight.