Chapter 9: Let me help you

Lana's POV

The next day, I woke up and smiled as I had a good night's sleep in my own bed, in my own house without Shax interrupting me... Finally.

I looked to my right and noticed Melody wasn't laying there. She must be downstairs... I should get down there too, somehow.

I looked beside the bed, to the crutches. I let out a breath before pushing myself up.

Then, the door opened, and in came Melody. "Hey hey," She rushed to me. "What are you doing?"

I looked at her. "I was getting up," I then tilted my head slightly. "Why?"

Melody nodded a bit before making me lay down again. She then walked outside the room again only to come back with a tray.

I sat up a bit as I noticed she had prepared breakfast in bed. Melody made me breakfast and was serving it in bed... Melody hated that, she hated eating in bed.

She sat down next to me and smiled a bit. "I hope you'll like it," She then looked at her work. "I tried."

I looked at the tray and noticed all the many components on the tray, she really had worked hard on this. I then looked at her again and smiled. "Thank you so much, it's really sweet of you to do that."

Melody smiled a bit. "You need to eat well, you need to gain your strength back."

I nodded before digging into the meal. After a while, I noticed she wasn't eating. I looked at her and saw her look at me. "Aren't you going to eat?"

"Yes," She smiled a bit. "I'll eat what's left."

I raised my eyebrows.

"You need to eat well, eat whatever you want. Don't worry about me."

"But Mel - "

"Eat, please."

I looked at the tray and grabbed a croissant. "Here," I handed it to her. "Eat this, I know you love them."

She smiled a bit more. "Thanks."

We ate in silence then. I was enjoying breakfast while I knew Melody was thinking. Thinking about us, about what had happened, about our future, and about what she could do. Melody had things planned out and, when they didn't go the way she wanted them to go, she got worried. It unsettled her.

After breakfast, she put the tray on her nightstand before taking a bottle of pills and looking at me. She took two pills out of it before handing it to me with a glass of water.

Without asking her what those were or why I needed them, I took them from her and swallowed them. I trusted her, with my life.

"I've taken some days off." She suddenly said.

This peaked my attention as Melody would live for work. She adored her work, she spent more time there than at home. "Why?"

She looked from my face to my chest, and I knew enough.

"I can take care of myself," I said, gaining her attention again. "Or we could ask someone else to watch me."

"No," She shook her head. "I'm your wife, it's my task to take care of you."

I looked down a bit. I didn't know how I felt about this. I should feel loved and cared for, I should feel happy my wife is doing this for me but I wasn't. I couldn't help but feel bad about it, I knew I was keeping her home while she would love to go to work.

"Lana," She breathed out. "We need to talk."

I sighed and looked down, I didn't like her tone. And I knew what she was going to ask.

"Why didn't you tell me?"

I kept looking down.

"Lana?"

I looked at her. "Mel, I'm not depressed or suicidal, I swear."

"Then why did you jump out of a window?"

I gulped before looking down again. "I..." I sighed. "I can't tell you."

Melody sighed. "Why not?"

I bit down hard on my teeth, I was so unsure what I could say and what I better keep private. "Because you're not going to understand."

She sighed again. "I know."

I looked at her then. I was surprised she'd agree. Usually, Melody wants to know everything, she'd want to be informed so she could remain in control of everything. But strangely enough, she seemed to let go this time.

"I understand it may be difficult to talk about this with me," She looked at me. "So I hope you'll talk about this with Dr.Hansen."

"Dr.Hansen?"

Melody nodded.

"Who's that?"

"The psychologist who will help you through this."

"But Mel, I - "

"You need this, Lana," She sighed. "You can't talk about the problem with me, and I understand, but I want you to be able to talk about it with someone. You can talk about it with Dr.Hansen."

I looked down then. I didn't want to talk to a stranger. Why would I reveal my deepest secrets to this random person, a person I never met and would never meet either way? I didn't want it, nor did I like it.

"It'll help you," Melody continued. "You'll feel heard, you won't feel alone anymore."

"But, I - "

She placed her hand on mine. "I know," She gulped. "I know it's difficult. But I do hope you'll at least try it. It can't hurt, can it?"

I shrugged.

"Listen, Lana," She caressed my face, making me look at her. "Something has obviously been bothering you, I can see it too now. I failed to help you and I apologize for that. But please," She gulped again. "Please, let me help you this way."

I looked her in the eyes but didn't respond. I could see she did this with the best intentions, but I just... "I'm scared."

"I understand," She caressed my face a bit. "But this will help you. Trust me," She said to which I slowly nodded. "I can come too, if you want?"

I looked at her, thinking about her suggestion, before slowly shaking my head. "I'll do it on my own."

She smiled then. "I'm so proud of you," She leaned in and kissed my lips gently. "I love you."

"I love you too."