Chapter 26: I did something bad

Lana's POV

It has been a week since I last saw Stephanie. It has been a week since we kissed... It has been a week since I cheated on Melody...

I've been feeling so guilty. Part of me just wanted to come clean and spill it all. But part of me was also scared. I didn't want to lose Melody over this. And I wondered: do I have to tell her? It was merely one kiss. It meant nothing... I think.

I tried so hard to forget about Stephanie these past few days. I even rescheduled my appointment. I just needed time to think, time for myself.

And then it happened... I was alone, in our bedroom, I was changing into my clothes for the day and I felt it. Shax... It was back. It was staring at me. I hurried to get my shirt on so I could look at my environment but, when I did, I saw nothing...

I sighed before sitting down on the bed. I surely didn't miss Shax or the way it made me feel. But, in a way, I'm happy to know where it is. I did wonder what had happened though. I opened my mouth, ready to call out its name.

"Lana," Melody entered the room. "Breakfast's ready." She left without saying another word. Ever since my day out with Stephanie, Melody had been like this with me. It almost seemed as if she knew, as if she had seen what I had done. But she couldn't have.

I got up and walked down the stairs. I arrived in the kitchen and noticed Melody was already eating, she didn't wait for me anymore.

I sat down in front of her and noticed her looking down, at her plate. She frowned, which usually meant she was deep in thoughts.

"How did you sleep?" I tried.

She looked up at me and I immediately saw the expression she had been giving me for days: she was unamused.

I gulped before looking down at my plate. "This looks great, Mel," I tried a piece before looking at her and noticed she was already looking at me. "It's delicious."

She just looked at me, staring into my soul. I wondered if she knew, maybe she was simply waiting for me to come clean. Maybe she was hoping that her stare would get to me. And she would be right...

I looked back down and continued eating this way.

After breakfast, I got up to clean the dishes while Melody went out for a jog. I sighed deeply as I was washing the plates.

Then my phone buzzed.

I looked up at the kitchen counter. I dried my hands before picking up my phone but I stopped when I saw the caller... Stephanie... I gulped before putting my phone down and letting it go to voicemail. Then I received a text from her.

I sighed before going back to the dishes.

"Aren't you going to check that?"

I looked up before looking behind me. "Hey, Wednesday," I said to Wednesday, I then looked at Bree. "Hey, Bree."

They both nodded as a way of greeting me.

Wednesday looked at my phone again, which was buzzing again. "Aren't you going to get that?"

"No," I sighed before going back to the dishes. I wanted this to be finished before Melody gets home. I wanted to do good for her. "I'm busy."

"You dropped everything just to check your phone before," Wednesday said. "I don't see why you can't simply get it."

I looked down. "I didn't mean for things to go down that way..." I gulped. "I feel so guilty towards Melody."

"Why?"

I looked at Wednesday. "What do you mean, why?"

She looked at me as if I had asked a strange question. Bree seemed to notice and stepped in. "Do you regret the kiss?"

I looked at them and nothing happened. They were waiting for my answer but I wasn't answering. It's like something inside my brain froze or an error occurred. I said nothing and I did nothing. I got nothing.

Bree looked worried while Wednesday looked with a cold stare at me, she often tends to do that. She doesn't mean bad, but she can be scary sometimes.

"Lana," Wednesday eventually said. "Do you?"

I gulped before looking down. "I don't know," I sighed before dropping the towel. "It felt great to be with Steph, it's great to talk to her, she gets me, she listens to me..."

"But?"

I looked at them. "I'm scared."

"Of?"

I gulped before looking down again.

"You're scared of your feelings," Bree said which gained both our attention. "I had that too," She then looked at Wednesday who didn't seem pleased. "I knew it was wrong but it felt so good."

I slowly nodded. "I can't do this to Melody..."

"One day, she'll find out though," Wednesday said which send shivers down my spine. Just the thought of Melody leaving me... It tore me apart. I had been with her for the most important part of my life. "She'll discover you lied about your day out too."

I gulped before looking away again.

"What did you even tell her?"

I sighed before going back to the dishes. "I told her I was out with Chelsea and Isaac."

"Do they know you've used them in a lie?"

I slowly shook my head.

"My God, Lana," Wednesday breathed out, I could hear she was frustrated. "This whole thing will explode in your face..."

"I know," I gulped. "I can only hope it won't."

"Or you can come clean," Bree said, once again gaining our attention. "I came clean to Wednesday in our story," She looked at Wednesday. "She was angry with me but I believe she appreciated my honesty."

I sighed before drying off the dishes. "I don't know..."

"Suit it yourself, Lana," Wednesday said. "You've chosen your path, I hope you know what you're doing." She then vanished into nothing.

Bree looked apologetically at me before vanishing too.

20 minutes later, Melody arrived back home. She looked at the kitchen, which I had cleaned for her, before looking at me. "Shouldn't you be going?"

I looked at the time. "Yes," I got up. "I'll see you tonight," I walked to her and leaned in to kiss her, which she allowed. "I love you."

"I love you too." She said before walking away to our bedroom, probably to get ready for her day at work.

I sighed deeply before walking out of the house and going to the nearest bus stop. There I got on the bus to go to my job as a secretary, my new 'real' job.