Chapter-15: Melodies of Memories

Refer to the song^ to relate more.
Enjoy!

William.

THE ONLY THING I thought about throughout the following day. How come I came across a Spirit? Did he live in the 1800s to have such a name? Where were other spirits...I mean if I was able to see Spirit, I should also be able see more of them.

 The classes were all the same old, except I didn't have any class with Jaxon but shared History with Mikayla where we both practically snoozed off. It was that boring.

When lunch rolled over, I saw Britney walking down the hall with her minions, luckily her attention somewhere else. She seemed completely fine, with her previous dressing style back. Jaxon made it his mission to mock me every chance he got. It was futile to even begin to explain nothing sort of roasting battle took between us.

Mikayla informed Elijah couldn't join us since he had extra practice for the upcoming game on Friday. Jaxon had also joined the football team gaining the Half Back position, thanks to his resume from his previous school. I was grateful I got a break from his blabber. Although, I was always laughing at every of his jokes, I didn't want his words concerning Britney reach others. 

She asked me not to. Even if I had all reasons to avenge by spreading about her illness, I kind of felt for her. She was just trying to pass high school without any baggage or people looking at her differently. Like me

I collapsed on the cafeteria chair while Mikayla had her face pressed against the glass windows to have a better view of the cheerleading practice. She used to be in cheerleading before she incurred an injury where doctors said she couldn't continue anymore. It seemed like seeing all others out bothered her but then again, I would be depressed if I had to leave a sports I loved.

The day went on stopping at my last class. Music.

Huffing out a sigh, I pushed past the double doors to reveal various instruments in different corners of the gym room and a young, tall lady skipping through pages of what seemed like lyrics. My eyes zeroed on the sleek piano before returning back to the lady.

She was really pretty and had incredible taste of music, wearing a Panic! At the disco tee and high waisted pants that seemed like one Madonna would wear in her concerts.

When she felt my presence, she looked up and gave a bright smile.

"Abigail, right?"

"Yes."

"I'm your music teacher for this year."

I smiled back reeling from the small shock. She seemed really young to have this job, not to mention she just could do modelling with such beauty.

"Hi," I squeaked out, embarrassed for blanking out, but pushed myself to take a seat. It then registered that there were no other students.

"Well, this is actually your replacement for Arts class that you dropped so, it's just you and me," she said answering my query.

I thought about how awkward it would be to just singing alone but also relieved since I didn't have to sing in front of others. Talk about mixed feelings of the situation.

"So as our first class, I would like to you to know about me and me about you," she beamed at me with a contagious smile. I took a second to understand what she meant but responded with a hunched up nod.

We made small talk about ourselves, me forgetting the fact that she was my teacher at certain times. Miss Alyssa, as I suspected, had just graduated college. She was saving up money to travel the world. She was living her life, was what I thought when she told me about some of  her travels.

"So, tell me, why is music important to you?"

She probably didn't know but she hit me in a deep personal spot, something I always refused to acknowledge. My smile faded a bit as I pondered the answer. It was hard to explain but I tried.

''My Mom always had this tradition of karaoke night where we would team against my Dad,'' I said chuckling at the thought. How dad would seek defeat after every fight and award me the reigning paper crown.

''Music helps me feel their presence and the happy times we spent together as a family. Like the melody created memories,'' I didn't know when my voice cracked or eyes got teary but I felt Miss Alyssa hug me.

"I'm so sorry, Abby. I didn't know," she spoke with pity, her voice cracking at the end. I knew she felt bad and had no fault over the events that led me here. But I hated the pity looks people bore when I confided in them. They started seeing me differently.

''Well, got to see if you still have the melodies intact," Miss Alyssa said as she got up and went around to the piano. I was a bit relieved that she didn't try to move me away from the sad moment. Most times, people would try to divert the subject, but Miss Alyssa wanted to relive it. It made me realize, maybe she had also gone through some rough patches too.

I dwelled on over some time on which song to sing but as she played a soft tune on the piano, I knew exactly what she wanted me to sing. Slowly, I began singing along the lyrics.

'So lately, been wondering
Who will be there to take my place
When I'm gone you'll need love to light the shadows on your face
If a great wave shall fall and fall upon us all
Then between the sand and stone, could you make it on your own

If I could, then I would
I'll go wherever you will go
Way up high or down low, I'll go wherever you will go

As I painfully continued, Miss Alyssa joined me while exchanging a warm encouraging smile before continuing,

Run away with my heart
Run away with my hope
Run away with my love
I know now, just quite how
My life and love might still go on
In your heart, in your mind, I'll stay with you for all of time

If I could, then I would
I'll go wherever you will go
Way up high or down low, I'll go wherever you will go
If I could turn back time, I'll go wherever you will go

If I could make you mine, I'll go wherever you will go
I'll go wherever you will go.'

In the end, Miss Alyssa stood up clapping with an impressed smile.

"Wow, what a lovely voice you got there." I blushed, feeling giddy at the compliment. She looked around for something in her binder before inching towards me with a wide grin reaching her ears.

"I want you to sing at the school's prom concert," she said handing me a paper which resembled a fill up form.

I stared at her to see if she was serious. She just shrugged and said, ''Come on, I know you can do it Abby.'' Well, she believed in me.

I didn't ponder over it. With a stern nod, I agreed enthusiastically; already excited about the event that was months away.

☆☆☆

I got out in the school yard, the sun up with its unforgiving rays. I slowly but cheerily made my way to join Mikayla in watching the football practice but found myself coming to a standstill when I saw a small puppy running across the school yard.

Mikayla could wait a little while.

------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note: Hey there lovelies, I hope you all and your families are doing well in this quarantine. Thank you for voting and do leave comments, I love reading them!<3

Your friendly author,
Zafna