Chapter 21

I sat content, trying to decode what had not long ago happened between me and Harry. Now I trusted him more than I ever thought I could.

I closed my eyes, remembering the moments that drew me to him. Even with everything that took place I still neglected to regret him. I got up from the couch, peering over and out of the window as the rain consumed the world around me.

My vacation was going slower than I'd imagined it would, but I couldn't complain. I could tell that I was growing addicted to his touch. I smiled to myself briefly at the thought, before hearing the doorbell sound.

She'd come sooner than I'd expected, but I ran to greet her never the less. I peered out through the peephole experiencing a familiar face that instantly lifted my mood.

I turned the knob quickly, swinging open the door and smiling subconsciously.

"Hey Mum."

Her hair was long and wavy, like mine. She wore a beautifully warm-colored trench coat that looked a lot like the one I'd just bought while out with the girls.

The chill of the air hit me from the outside, but she greeted me with a warm hug. Her smell was just as I'd remembered it last. Hard to be describe but she smelt pleasantly like home.

I assumed our embrace lasted longer than she'd intended when she'd suddenly pulled away. Closing her eyes briefly as she spoke as if to regain control.

"I missed you so much Alex. How have you been?" Her smile was something I'd realized I'd missed.

"I'm good mum. Please, come in."

It was her first time in a while she'd visited here. She looked around in awe. She assisted me in picking out this house and she'd been one of the very reasons I'd decided on it.

I watched her as I waited for her to express her thoughts.

"Where is Scott?" She asked looking around.

My smile faded suddenly. I felt a numbness toward my fingertips at her words.

Guilt overwhelmed me, and I'd completely forgotten I hadn't told her about any of it. I walked over to the living room. I heard her footsteps short behind me as I sat onto the couch.

Her eyes rested on me at my change in mood, and I knew she'd know what I'd been thinking, after all she was my mom.

"What happened, Alex?"

I really didn't want to relive this. Everything had been going fine up until now and now I'd been faced with it again.

I was convinced that life wouldn't let me forget. The guilt sunk in further as I delayed my answer.

"Mum, w- we" I neglected to look up at her as I sat still to the spot. I hoped she wouldn't disapprove or give me advice I really didn't need.

"We're not together anymore." I twirled my thumbs as I noticed a change in my breathing patterned. I could feel her eyes on me still, though I hadn't looked up.

It pierced my skin, and I wondered how long she'd been judging me now.

I waited for her response, but decided to keep quiet when she failed to give me one.

"Since when?" Her voice was low, and nonjudgmental.

I could tell she'd been trying to approach the topic cautiously. "For a while. I- I'm with someone else."

She walked over to me, as I said the last of it, sitting down on the sofa beside me. She grabbed my hands, and I assumed she noticed them as they began to shake. She always knew what to do.

Fool's Gold Book 1On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara