Chapter 36

“Your turn.”

I handed Harry the warm bottle in his large hands, watching attentively as he fed Emma, his opposite arm supporting her weight.

I had given him a blanket that now rest around her and across his lap. I lay back in the couch across from them, cuddling into the chair. I lost myself between them as I continued to watched curiously, he looked up and began to speak softly.

“What?” His dimples were visible and I was sure my expression mimicked my thoughts now.

“Oh, nothing, nothing.”

Later I’d definitely be capturing this moment in my sketchbook. I rubbed my palm against my leg as I became aware of the soreness I’d gotten from the other night with Harry.

I smiled to myself with the thought when I felt my phone vibrate on the glass table in front of me. I picked it up quickly hoping the noise wouldn’t bother Emma when I’d read the name across the screen. I felt a numbness in fingers as my hand slipped from the phone.

Harry looked up to watch me when the sound of it hitting the floor echoed against the walls. I picked it up quickly; My mood changing from its mellow state, replacing itself with annoyance. Decline. I tried focusing my attention to the words he’d just said to me but they hadn’t cleared.

“Sorry Harry, say that again.”

“I said, are you okay?” he repeated.

“Yes, um yeah of course.” I felt my nervousness increase when the phone began again. I’d gotten up to exit the room hastily.

“I’ll be back in a minute.” I was gone before he could question it, accepting the call after taking a deep breath.

“Stop calling me.”

“I would if you’d answer me.”

“Scott, please. You know I can’t do this. I shouldn’t even be talking to you.” I was surprised he could even hear me with how low I’d been whispering.

“But we need to talk, meet me somewhere.” he said.

“No!”

“Then I’ll just stop by.”

“No! Scott-”

“I want to see you tomorrow. Meet me in the park after you come from work, you know which one.”

I closed my eyes as my palms became increasing sweaty. He just wouldn’t quit. A headache began to form at the thought of Harry in the other room.

“Just once, and I’ll leave you alone.” He said.

“No you won’t.” I know this is true. He never will.

He laughed from the other end of the phone to confirm what I already knew.

“You’re smart.” He said.

“I’m hanging up now.”

“Tomorrow. Remember. Or I'm coming to see you myself.”

End Call.

I wanted so bad to smash it against the wall and pretend that never happened.

Memories of Harry’s promise to take care of it spun in my mind. What exactly did he mean take care of it?

I winced at the thought of those hands used for anything but comforting. The same hands that now held a small newborn. I remember briefly the cuts displayed on them after the night at the club, and the look on his face when the waiter hit on me on our first date.