Chapter 40

Harry's POV

I'd gone out for a bit before she'd got up just to clear my head. I had to admit I wasn't myself after Alex and I's little conversation, and maybe I'd been reading too much into it.

It wasn't hard to wonder if I'd actually given her discomfort or she'd just told me otherwise to spare my feelings. My intentions were never to hurt her, and it hurt me with the thought or possibilities of me ever doing so.

I reached the driveway, driving my truck over the snow that had continued to fall since I shoveled. I turned the key in the lock, opening the door and looking over toward the living room to see her and Luke.

I pulled my coat off and closed the door in slight irritation as I took notice that neither of them had even looked up or acknowledged my presence. They were seated on each side of the glass table that sat in the middle of the living room.

There were wine glasses filled with a dark purple substance that looked to be half empty and a chessboard between them. She stared intensely down at the layout while he stared over at her.

She bit her nails idly, something I'd never saw her do, and reached over to make her move. It was like I hadn't even been there. I cleared my throat as I looked down at them.

Alex's POV

I looked up to see him standing there with flakes of snow that had yet to melt. I lost myself in his eyes but quickly brought myself back when I realized he'd been looking for an explanation.

"I got bored. We're playing this one game and Luke has to go, right?" I said looking over at him.

This game had been going on for quite awhile already, and I only let Luke over because he'd insisted.

Luke smiled. "Yeah, ten my minutes."

Harry nodded before heading over toward the kitchen. My eyes fell back on the board as he began conversation.

"You want to tell me why it looks like you haven't slept in days?" Luke asked me. I rubbed my eyes at the thought.

I didn't know what had been going on with me but it was becoming increasingly difficult to keep myself going without rest.

"Thanks. Girls just love hearing that."

I knew Harry had been listening from where he stood, just across from us so I kept everything brief.

"You know I'm not saying it like that- Just don't have any caffeine today, and see how it goes."

I nodded to assure him I'd take that advice, though I was more than sure that caffeine wasn't my problem. His attention was back to the board and I laughed as he made his next move, to my advantage.

"Checkmate!"

He sighed in disapproval while I reached for my wine glass. "You always do that."

"What? Beat you? Am I not supposed to?"

He held back a smile as he glared momentarily into my eyes before looking over at Harry and away.

"Don't think this is over." He said.

I was finding extreme amusement in this, but chose not to express it at his expense. Luke gulped down the rest of his glass before getting up and withdrawing himself from the table.

"Later Alex."

I watched Luke leave the house. I sat the glass back down on the table when a vibration had come from my phone.

Mum: Rain check, okay. I don't want you two coming out in this weather.

We were supposed to go see her today, but Harry was barely even talking to me.