Chapter 44

The chill of the night air blew as I quickly rolled the car window of the passenger side upward.

We had just come from a date at the Cinema and I sensed we were either making another stop or he wanted to talk from the route he’d decided to take home.

His right hand reached for mine as his left remained on the steering wheel after turning the heat up a bit. I had a few questions for him anyways given that he’d been restless the past few nights.

“What’s been on your mind lately?” I asked.

He watched my lips as they formed the words but still I could tell it took a moment to comprehend. The topic had probably taken him off guard.

“What do you mean?”

He turned down a side street I wasn’t familiar with, his speed decreasing as his grip tightened firmly.

“Well you seem fine but you haven’t exactly been sleeping well. Is this about the talk we had? Because that wasn’t me pressuring you, I just.”

“It’s not about that, there’s no pressure.” He spoke in a hushing manner.

It was kind of a relief to hear because that conversation seemed to happen rather quickly and I’d never really meant for him to see that drawing in the first place.

I rubbed his knuckles sensitively with my thumb and he’d pulled over slowly, putting the car in park. “You promise?”

His looked at me and I could see he needed rest from the small circles that had begun to form under his eyes.

It was a quiet neighborhood and the sky had started to grow dark. The car hummed while we sat there silently for a moment. I brought the back of his hand up to my lips to peck them softly. I wanted him to know he could tell me everything and that we were friends first.

"Alex, you know I love you, right?” He said.

I felt my heart skip at the connotation, my mind immediately traveling to the worst case scenario at the possibilities of words that could easily follow that phrase.

He sighed before continuing. “I don’t know, I’ve just never been in a relationship like this before. And I don’t want anything to ruin it.”

It was a little vague and something told me this sudden change had come from something he’d been neglecting to tell me. Suspense was something I wasn’t good with.

“What happened?”

He stayed quiet for a moment deepening my suspicion. It was an awful feeling to have, sitting still now becoming a chore from the lack of certainty.

“Nothing. You’re just the only thing I’m sure about and I don’t want to mess things up.”

I still remained hushed in gesture for him to continue further.

He looked away profoundly. “I shouldn’t have yelled at you the other day.”

Slight relief rushed to my brain, calming my nerves immediately at the fact that it hadn’t been something worst.

“Harry, its okay." I said to him.

He replied almost immediately, his tone displayed his disgust. “No it’s not okay. My dad use to do that to my mom, and it wasn’t okay. I shouldn’t have yelled at you.”

Maybe it was me but I thought he was kind of entitled to. I wasn’t mad at him for it but rather upset with myself for being so careless. It was sweet how he felt about it but I never took him as an aggressive person.