Attacked

Over the next week Lisa really began to like school. There she got to spend time with Allison and after school both of them were with Samantha. Both Lisa and Allison worked together on problems, though Lisa suggested Bart needed the help more than her. Allison joined lunch with her, Janey, and the twins. With Allison's help Lisa becomes better friends with Serri and Terri. Gym was not as bad as it was as Lisa wasn't alone in the nurse's office anymore. However, she was still picked last in class over everyone else. Even music class was better with her now that Largo was more up beat with her in it. Things were getting really swell. Who still says swell? Lisa realized she hadn't talked to Nelson since their first encounter. She bumped into him that one time but that was it. She decided to pay him a visit. Before class she caught up with him. He was giving Database a wedgie. 

"Hey Nelson! Can I have a word with you?"

"Hold on a sec." Nelson said. He looked toward Database. "Looks like we're going to need to reschedule. What times works best for you?" 

"How's Thursday at 3:00?" Database said with a squeak. 

"Sounds good to me." He released him and Database ran off. "What do you want now?"

"Okay, first you need to stop giving people wedgies. It's a horrible thing to do. Second, I need to ask you something." Nelson sighed.

"Alright just make it quick. I gotta copy Ms. Krabapples answers before she gets here."

Lisa just shook her head. "Why do you accept me as a girl? None of the other bullies here do. Even Martin Prince likes to make fun of me. But that one day you said I was a girl. Why?" Nelson groaned inside. He didn't like these questions.

"I don't know. I just do." Nelson said rubbing the back of his head.

"That's not a real answer. Give me one that's more in delph." 

"Like I said you're pretty tough. You get a lot of flack from people yet you don't let that stop you. You will stand up to anyone who is bigger than you to prove you're a girl. I guess you remind me of myself." Lisa didn't understand what he meant by that. Why did she remind him of himself?

"What do you mean by that" 

Nelson looked around. "Promise you'll tell no one?" Lisa nodded and Nelson pulled out a picture. Lisa looked at it and saw what it was. She saw a very tiny Nelson when he was about 5. He was smaller than the other kids and some of them were giving him mean sneers. Lisa was confused. 

"I used to be the smallest kid here. All the other kids picked on me and made fun on how my dad walked out on my mom and me. They also ragged on me for being poor and called my mom a slut. I wished everyday I would get big so I could teach them a lesson" Nelson pounded his fist together. "I did eventually get bigger, so I guess I got my wish. I know you're going to say solving violence with more violence is wrong so go ahead." Lisa was quiet a moment before talking.

"No, no they deserved it. For picking on you like that they got their karma. I never knew that about you, Nelson. I'm sorry. You've had it rough and those kids just made it worse. That would scar anyone. You wanted to prove your point to them and you did. While I do disapprove of you picking on kids who had nothing to do with what happened I hope you give them a break. They might have the same life problems as you and have the same wish to be bigger. I hope you will one day stop your picking on them. You're like the ocean, Nelson. On the surface everyone can see you; but at the bottom there is a lot people don't know about you. I wish they could know that part." Lisa walked off leaving a rather surprised Nelson standing there trying to understand what just happened. Lisa, Janey, and Allison did their regular lessons for the day. After school they decided to walk home together, but Lisa forgot something.