We'll Crash Down Like An Avalanche

Start from the beginning

"Why didn't you?" I breathed. "I don't understand."

"Pride." She said honestly. "I can't have a bad day without you or anybody else for that matter, thinking that didn't take my medication or that I must have relapsed. I can't have a secret because it has to be something bad. I'm just sick of being defined by every single problem or mistake I've ever made. I'm tired of it. It's exhausting."

While I found her reasoning to be flawed , I understood. The fact that I would question her like that hurt her and she lashed out. I guess she felt like she didn't have anything to call her own anymore because she had to answer to everyone, every single day as part of her recovery. I couldn't imagine how hard that would be. She was always under a microscope in more ways than one.

"Do you have any idea how unfair you've been?" The disappointment was evident in my tone.

"I do." She said softly.

"I'm so mad at you." I said with a sigh.

"You pull me out of my weakest moments and remind me that I'm strong. You're so much more than I deserve and I know that." She said softly.

"Demi..."

"You've taken a chance with me and I want you to know that I don't take that for granted."

"I know you don't."

"You wanna see something else?" She asked hopefully.

"Yeah. Sure." I responded with less enthusiasm than she was probably hoping for.

"We shot this a couple days ago." She explained. "The song is going to be the lead single from his album and this is the video."

I watched as Nicks face appeared on screen. The video itself was shot in black and white and it focused on his face as he sang the first verse. Once he got to the chorus, the camera zoomed out and showed him walking through a corridor as the walls crumbled around him. The walls were covered in tabloid headlines about his departure from the band. He paid no attention to the chaos as he moved forward.

When Demi's verse started, it showed her walking through a similar corridor lined with pictures. The camera cut to close ups revealing that they were pictures of Nick and Demi. Some of them were older from when they were kids and others were more recent. When the chorus started, she started ripping the frames off the wall and throwing them against the ground, causing them to shatter and break apart.

As I listened to the lyrics in conjunction with the video, I felt kind of sad. It depicted their relationship perfectly at this point and I couldn't help but feel like I'd played some part in its deterioration. They both had somber looks on their faces the entire time.

The last part of the video showed them both standing on opposites sides of a chasm as they belted out the bridge and final chorus. They'd try to reach out across the divide but they couldn't quite reach. The video ended with them silently walking away from each other. It was actually quite powerful and I could feel a lump in my throat as I sat there searching for the appropriate words.

"Wow." I finally managed after clearing my throat. "That was amazing. You guys should be proud."

"It was hard for us." She explained. "But we both needed to do it without everyone else looking over our shoulder or judging us."

"I think I understand now." I said softly as I realized that the two of them had made amends and they needed privacy to do that.

"I would never betray you Selena. Not anymore." She said as she knelt down in front of me. She reached up and ran her fingertips across my throat.