Let The Ocean Take Me

There was a moment when I realized that Demi might be under too much pressure. It was right after she and Ruby broke up. The band was on a break before heading to Europe. The paps and media were relentless. She had called me to meet her for dinner which I gladly accepted. Unfortunately people at the restaurant recognized her and once word got out the restaurant was swarmed with people. Ritchie did the best he could, but there were just too many people.

I remember the moment clearly. The flashbulbs were blinding and she was being swarmed by people. She looked absolutely miserable. The worst part was there wasn't a single thing I could do about it. She was completely exhausted and at her wits end. She looked underweight and I knew that the drugs and loneliness were taking their toll. I didn't know how to help her. I just watched as Ritchie fought through the crowd and crammed her into a waiting SUV.

I pushed my way through the crowd and got into my car. I heard my phone ringing and immediately recognized the number. It was Johnny's cell.

"Hello." I said into the receiver.

"Ms. Gomez?" A male voice asked.

"Yes. This is she." I answered.

"I'm calling on behalf of Johnny Seward."

"Ok..."

"He was involved in a car accident."

"Oh my god. Is he....did he..."

"He's fine." The man on the other end interrupted. "My name is Dr. Kline. I operated on him and he asked me to call you."

"Do you know what happened?" I asked once my nerves settled.

"No I don't. He only wants to talk to you."

"I'll be right there." I said quickly before hanging up.

I arrived at the hospital and checked in at the nurses station. She led me to Johnny's recovery room where Dr. Kline explained that Johnny had broken his ankle in a car accident and they had to insert some rods and screws. He had a mild concussion and a few bumps and bruises. Once the doctor gave the two of us some privacy, I spoke to Johnny.

"Hey." I smiled. "You alright?"

"Yeah." He rasped. "I wasn't drunk." He stated.

"I didn't ask..."

"I know but you were thinking it." He interrupted.

I nodded. "You know me well."

"I just wanted you to know that." He said softly.

"I'm gonna let you get some rest." I said as I squeezed his hand. "Natalie will be here in a bit to sit with you."

"Can you stay until she gets here?"

"Yeah." I smiled as I pulled a chair closer to his bed. "I'll stay with you."

"Thank you Sel. I hate hospitals." He sighed.

"I know."

"You know I love you right?" He grinned.

"Yeah. I know stupid. Go to sleep. I'll be right here." I said settling into the chair.

As promised I stayed until Natalie arrived. Johnny was fast asleep as she walked into the recovery room.

"He's probably gonna sleep for quite a while." I explained as Natalie approached me.

"What happened?" She asked softly.

"He got into a car accident. Someone ran a light and slammed into him." I answered.