Call Me When You're Sober

A long time ago when I was growing up I remember hearing a quote one time that just kind of stuck with me. It went something like; it's not the destination, but the journey that counts. Who ever said this was one hundred percent right. Even in the toughest of times this statement rang true. I was about to go through things that would forever impact me and shape the person that I would turn out to be.

It would be difficult and at times almost impossible. There were times I wanted to give up and times when I questioned if it was worth it. In the end it was. Every single bit of pain was worth it.

"Selena." Val said as I answered the phone. She sounded out of breath. "I'm at the hospital with Johnny. He overdosed about thirty minutes ago. TMZ is already all over it. He was with Demi and Joe. It's a fucking mess right now."

"Is he alive?" I asked quickly as I processed what she just told me.

"Yes." She answered. "Can you please get a hold of Jamie. I've been calling..."

"Val." I spoke calmly. "Relax. I'll be there just hang tight. It's going to be ok."

I hung up the phone and woke Nick.

"I have to go." I explained quickly. "Johnny overdosed, he's at the hospital."

"He what...?" He asked groggily.

"He's ok. There's going to be a shit storm." I said as I pulled on a pair of pants.

"Do you need..."

"No." I said cutting him off. "Its a media circus already, you won't help."

I gave him a quick peck on the lips and left the house. The entire drive I tried to get a hold of Jamie. Like Val, I wasn't having any luck. When I arrived at the hospital I was swarmed by paps and tv reporters. Security had to escort me inside.

I walked into the waiting room to find Joe, Demi, Val and Ritchie sitting. Val stood and waddled over to me. She was nearing the end of her pregnancy and she looked like she was about burst.

"They've got him in a room right now. He's on IV fluids and they pumped his stomach." She said as she walked toward me.

The stress in her voice and on her face was apparent. It was honestly the last thing she needed right now.

"Did either of these assholes tell you what happened?" I asked gesturing toward Joe and Demi.

"No." She sighed. "Not really."

"Ok." I said gently. "You've done great. Go home and rest. I'll take care of it from here."

"No way." She objected. "I'm not gonna make you do this alone. I'm fine. I promise."

We finished talking and I led her back over toward a chair so she could sit. I approached Joe and Demi and Joe immediately took out his phone, placed it against his ear, and walked away. I sat next to Demi and sighed. I could tell from the look on her face it wasn't going to be one of those nights.

"Looks like you guys had a whole bunch of fun." I said sarcastically as I clasped my hands together.

"Here we go." She breathed as she rolled her eyes.

"You made me a promise." I stated without looking at her.

"Things change." She responded. Her tone was very flat. "We all make choices we have to live with..."

She was referring to Nick. I wasn't stupid and even though she was being passive aggressive, I was still very much aware at what she was hinting at.

"Mine seem to be right ones." I said with a smile.

I smiled so Ritchie and Val wouldn't catch on to the tension. It seemed to work.