Butterfly Kisses and Razor Blades

Chapter Three

A couple weeks after the first rehearsal and the awkward shower encounter with Demi, the band had booked their first gig. Or rather I booked them their first gig. The early years were like that. I was essentially their manager and I took care of their social media sites and booking. I also funded the recording of several of their EP's since I was pretty much the only one with an actual job. They always promised to pay me back and they eventually did, tenfold. In more ways than one...

I had my laptop perched in my lap while I edited a video that would be put up on their YouTube page. I could hear Joe and Demi arguing about something in the background. She was relentless. After several long arguments and debates they had somehow managed to settle on a band name. Once that was done, I was able to create and upload the videos that would launch their career. I literally recorded everything.

Demi was definitely my favorite. I recorded her the most. There was something about her that drew me in. The way she played the guitar was effortless. There was something almost sexual about it.

"Did you get that?" She asked me with a huge grin on her face.

"Yes." I laughed. "I got it." I answered in reference to the solo she just played.

"Hey Joe!" Johnny called out. "That's how it's done bro!"

"Shut up." Joe said rolling his eyes. "She already has an ego problem. Don't make it worse."

"Eat a dick!" Demi snapped back.

"Can you guys chill?" Nick asked from behind the drum kit. He had the tone of an annoyed father. "We play live in two days. Two days" He repeated.

"Yes sir." Demi mumbled as she saluted him.

He ignored her sarcasm.

"It was a good solo." Joe said as a peace offering.

"Thank you." Demi replied with a bow.

"We need to tighten up the harmonies Joe." Matt said before taking a long gulp of water. "I'm not feeling it."

"I can help." Demi offered.

"You sing?" Matt asked raising an eyebrow.

"A little." She grinned. I could tell she was up to something.

"Get Demi a mic." Nick smiled. "I hope y'all are ready." He added shaking his head.

Matt and Johnny set a mike up for Demi and they all settled in and got ready to play.

"From the top." Matt said signaling they were about to begin.

"One, Two, One, Two, Three, Four!" Nick chanted as he tapped his drum sticks in time to his countdown.

One cue the entire band kicked in. It was a heavy song and Matt had an incredible voice. I recorded him as he sang. The emotion he put into it was breath taking. He didn't care if it was just rehearsal. He practiced exactly how he performed. All out. The chorus was a screaming part and Joe provided the singing vocals, while Matt screamed. My jaw dropped when Demi joined in. Joe was so distracted by her voice that he stopped singing altogether. Matt did a double take and Johnny just smiled.

She had an incredible voice. I couldn't believe it. Once the song finished, everyone just sort of stood there dumbfounded.

"Why the fuck didn't you tell us you could sing like that?" Matt asked excitedly. "I mean...holy shit!"

"You never asked." Demi shrugged.

They immediately created new arrangements and harmonies that featured Demi's vocals. I was surprised Joe didn't complain. He was genuinely impressed with her vocal talent. In the months that followed, Demi would ultimately be the reason that they would get a record deal.