The Sound Of Madness

Chapter Eleven

The recording process for the second album was stressful. There was a lot of talk about the "sophomore slump" and it was important to the band that they didn't fall into that cycle. They wanted every album to matter. Demi was also extremely distracted throughout the process and no one knew why.

She missed several recording and writing sessions without specifying why. She'd email me that she had an appointment and we wouldn't hear from her until the next day. It was frustrating and I was honestly worried about her. When she actually showed up, you could tell her mind was elsewhere. Ruby was back in Australia because of work commitments which meant Demi was alone.

I used my key to get into her hotel room. She always gave me a spare. They all did. I was involved in so many aspects of their lives, it just made it easier. I heard the shower running when I stepped inside. I noticed some paperwork sitting on the coffee table. I looked at the documents and almost gasped. It was custody paperwork. She was taking Dylan, her ex to court. She wanted Brooklyn.

I jumped when I heard her phone go off. I knew what I was doing was a complete invasion of privacy, but I didn't care. I unlocked her phone and read through her text messages. My heart sunk when I realized they were from her lawyer. She didn't win and there was nothing more she could do. The last message was an apology.

I put the phone down when I heard the water stop running. I sat on the bed and waited for her to come out of the bathroom. When she opened the door and saw me sitting there, she didn't look the least bit surprised.

"You don't have to tell me twice." She joked.

Her smile didn't quite reach her eyes.

"Hey." I said softly.

"What's up Sel?" She asked as she walked over to the closet.

She looked tired.

"I'm worried about you. We all are."

My breath caught in my chest when she let the towel fall to floor. I sat in silence and watched as she dressed.

"I'm fine." She sighed.

"Are you?" I challenged.

"No. But I will be."

She turned around and walked toward me. Once again, I felt my breath catch.

"You wanna...uh...talk about it?" I fumbled.

"You already know." She said softly.

"How did..."

"Your eyes Sel. It's in your eyes." She interrupted gently. "You'd be a terrible spy."

She climbed into the bed and laid down.

"Are you mad?" I asked.

"No."

I turned toward her and leaned back against the pillows.

"I'm sorry."

"I know." She breathed as she settled next to me.

We laid side by side and just stared at each other in silence. Instinctively, I reached out and pushed a strand of her errant blue hair behind her ear. As I laid there with her, I felt myself drifting. I lost myself in the depths of her eyes. I was vaguely aware of her hand as she rested it on my hip. I felt myself leaning in. I wanted my lips on hers.

Her phone rang and it startled me causing me to flinch. She quickly sat up and answered it. My heart was hammering in my chest. If it wasn't for that phone call, I would have kissed her.