We'll Crash Down Like An Avalanche

Start from the beginning

"She's hiding something from me and I don't know what it is. She won't tell me and we just keep fighting about it. She stays out late..."

"I'll have everyone drug tested if you want." Jamie said suddenly.

"No. I don't think that's what's happening. I think it's...I think she's...

"No." Jamie gasped. "She wouldn't."

"I don't know what else it could be." I choked as the tears started to fall.

"This is insane." Lauren said as she sat up and shook her head. "It's not possible. Demi wouldn't cheat on you. There's no way. I think that everyone is making a big deal out of something that she obviously isn't ready to share for whatever reason."

"Excuse you." Jamie scolded. "She wasn't talking to you. She was talking to me."

"Well...I figured I could give my input since we're all spooning."

"Why does it feel like she is?" I asked desperately to no one in particular.

"Because you're scared." Lauren answered gently. "And you don't know what to do."

"There has to be a reasonable explanation." Jamie offered.

"What other explanation could there possibly be?" I questioned sadly.

"I don't know." Jamie sighed in frustration. "But Demi isn't Nick. I've seen the way she looks at you and believe me when I say she can't see anything else."

"This doesn't make an sense."

"Which is why you need to just wait until she's ready to give you some answers." Lauren said as she rolled back over and settled into the mattress. "I'm going to bed. You should do the same."

I laid there quietly and stared up at the ceiling. I felt Jamie grab a hold of my hand and give it a gentle squeeze. It was her way of telling me I wasn't alone. I kept telling myself that Demi and I had been through much worse and this was nothing more than a simple misunderstanding. Slowly but surly I felt my eyelids grow heavy as I fell into a restless sleep.

***

I woke up still sleeping in between Lauren and Jamie. It was actually quite bizarre. I carefully untangled myself from the blankets and climbed out of bed without disturbing either of them. I had about an hour before I needed to shower and get ready for the day. As I walked back to my room, I had hoped that Demi had returned.

I walked into the room to find her sitting on the edge of the bed. She stood immediately and looked me in my eyes. She looked tired and stressed and worst of all, she looked guilty. Of what, I didn't know. At least not yet. The expression on her face told me I was about to find out.

"We need to talk." She said as she cleared her throat.

"Yeah." I sighed. "I'd say so."

I sat down on the bed where she had been moments earlier as she grabbed her laptop and powered it on. She didn't say anything as she waited for it to boot up. My mind was spinning as I tried to formulate the endless possibilities of what was about to happen.

"This is what I've been doing." She said as she slid her laptop over in front of me. "Press play." She instructed.

I pressed the play button and listened as a familiar male voice started to sing. It was Nick. When I heard her voice it suddenly clicked. They had been meeting up and recording. He had flown out here so they could write for his album. It all made sense, sort of. I still didn't understand why she couldn't just tell me.

"I've been losing my mind because you and Nick have been sneaking off at all hours of the night recording music?" I asked as I tried to stay calm.

"Marie." She said softly as she reached out and touched my face. "I'm sorry. I should've just told you."