Chapter Tobias+Tris *Part 2*

Start from the beginning

The nurse wheels in the wheelchair, and directs Tobias on how to put me into it. They don't want me to hurt myself.

After about 3 minutes of walking down long halls, I see a sign that says, 'Neonatal Intensive Care Unit'. It brings another wave of tears through, but I suppress them as much as I can.

When we enter the ward, there is a large desk, where a woman sits, typing away on her computer.

"This is Four Eaton, and his wife Tris. They are here to visit their son." The nurse introduces us.

"You may go in, but you must go wash your hands. Just follow the instructions on the wall." The woman says, not looking away from the screen.

Tobias wheels me over to a large sink. On the wall there are a set of directions that tell me to use the timer on the table beside me, and set it to 3 minutes. Tobias and I grab small scrubbers, and lather them with soap. The directions tell us to wash up to our elbows, thoroughly, until the 3 minutes are up.

After a while the timer goes off, and we dry off our hands and arms.

"This way." The nurse pushes open a door that leads into a large room.

What I see astonishes me. Lots of little babies, some in incubators, some in cribs. But they all are hooked up to at least one machine. All of them are 'sick'.

I sniffle, and Tobias keeps pushing me forward.

The nurse leads us to an incubator on the far side of the room. It is labeled:
"Mother: Tris Eaton
Father: Four Eaton
Name: Unknown
Gender: Male"

"His name is Trace Reid Eaton." Tobias says defensively, almost growling.

"Yes sir." The nurse scribbles his name onto the paper, with a pen she grabbed from her clipboard.

I finally get a look at our baby. He so small. Too small.

"Is he... healthy at the moment?" I ask. Tears fill my eyes. I can't help but compare him to babies that came at the right time. 9 months.

"Well, he's stable for now, but last night he gave us a bit of a scare," she says, "his heart rate dropped pretty low, and stayed that way for a minute or two. We discovered that his lungs weren't completely developed yet, that's why we put him on the breathing machine. Now he's back to normal."

He almost died. Oh my God.

I can't see what he looks like because of all the wires sticking out of him.

"Can... can we hold him?" Tobias asks.

"Umm..."

Oh please, please let me hold him.

I look at her, and she glances at me and gives in.

"Oh, alright. But I'm afraid you can't hold him for long."

We both nod.

She slowly open the incubator, and carefully takes him into her arms.

"Mommy first," she says, looking at him.

I hold out my arms, eager for him to be enveloped in them.

She gently hands him off.

He is beautiful. I hardly notice the device strapped around his nose and mouth, providing him with oxygen.

I see a tuft of dark hair, just like Tobias'. He has Tobias' tan skin as well.

"Hi baby." I whisper, smiling.

I let my tears fall.

"Why'd you come so early? You scared Mommy and Daddy. But, I'm glad you're here now." I'm speaking in a voice that people only use with babies. I never thought I'd be that kind of person.

My love for him is immense, and radiates throughout the room.

"I love you. So, so much Trace."

The nurse interrupts.

"Ma'am, if you would both like to hold him, now would be the time to switch off. We don't have much time."

<><><>
Tobias' POV:

Tris nods, still staring at our son. I haven't gotten a good look at him yet.

I bend down, and scoop up our baby. He's so small, it worries me.

He's beautiful.

He has my hair and skin, and I can tell he has Tris' nose. It's visible through the 'mask'.

A small yawn escapes his lips, and a few seconds later, his eyes open.

They demand attention. He has Tris' striking blue eyes.

"Tris, look," I say, bending down.

She gasps. "He has my eyes."

I nod, still staring at him.

His eyes close once more.

His breathing slows, and he falls into a deep sleep again. Or, what I thought was sleep.

Little did I know, he would take his last breath in my arms.

<><><>

A/N: I'm so sorry! I don't know why but, I had to do this! It helps with the plot.

Please don't kill me! I know some of yall carry butterknives!

At least I didn't do this on Christmas!

QOTD: What was your favorite Christmas present? (If you celebrate Christmas)

AOTD: I GOT DIVERGENT SIGNED BY VERONICA ROTH!!!!! 😍🎁

R.I.P. Trace Reid Eaton

Be brave. <4