Chapter Thirty-Tobias

Tobias' POV:

It's been a month since we named Tailynn and Trevor. Tris will be 6 months along tomorrow, and she's pretty stressed. We lost Trace when she was 6 months pregnant.

"Tobias?" Tris asks, waking me up.

I slowly open my eyes. What time is it?

"Are you ok Tris?" I ask, pulling her into my chest.

"It was just a dream," she tells me, shaking.

"It's ok," I hug her as tightly as her bulging stomach allows.

Her shaking reduces, then stops all together.

"Thank you," she whispers.

I squeeze her back in response and kiss her forehead.

"I love you," I state.

"I love you too Tobias," she says.

Her eyes shut, and soon I drift off too.

<><><>

I wake up to Tris screaming.

Immediately, I sit up, looking at her. She's asleep, it must be a nightmare. I shake her shoulders gently.

"Tris. Tris? It's ok it's just a dream, you're ok."

Her eyes snap open, and she clutches onto me as hard as she can muster at the moment.

"Tris, calm down," I say, as she sobs into my chest.

I hate seeing her like this. A tear rolls down my cheek.

"Please, Tris. You're ok, we're all ok," I tell her, crying a bit.

She looks up at me and I wipe the tears off her face.

"T-Tobias," she looks me straight in the eyes, "I l-lost you, you were dead Tobias, and then our babies died and I had nothing left of you. Nothing to remember y-you by."

"I'm right here and I'm never going anywhere, I promise," I reassure her, hugging her tightly.

After a few minutes Tris asks, "Tobias why were you crying?"

"Tris, I hate seeing you like that. It breaks my heart, and I can't handle it. You deserve to be happy."

She kisses me abruptly and I gladly kiss her back.

"Do you want to make breakfast here today?" She asks after pulling back.

I nod.

She gets up and passes the calendar above our dresser on the way. Tris stops dead in her tracks.

"Tobias."

"What's wrong Tris?"

"I'm 6 months pregnant." She states, her eyes welling up with tears. Hormones?

"I know," I say, wondering where she's going with this.

She walks back over to me, and sits on my lap with her head in her hands. I can definitely tell that she's gained some pregnancy weight. She has two babies inside her.

"Tobias I can't lose them," her tears threaten to spill over.

"We won't lose them, Tris," I tell her, rubbing her back.

"I can't lose them like I lost Trace," she says, glancing at our son's urn.

"Tris they'll be fine."

"You don't know that!" She snaps. "Tobias, just watch, something will happen, and I'll kill more of our children," she gets up and walks to the bathroom.

I sigh.

"You didn't kill him Tris," I call after her, and then I whisper, "I did."

She tells me that Trace was in the wrong place at the wrong time, and he could have died in her arms just as easily, but I don't believe it. I killed him and I'm just like my father. I hate myself for it.

<><><>

Later, after Tris calmed down, we sit on the couch in the living room, watching movies.

"Tobias?" Tris asks nervously.

"Yeah?"

"My--my stomach. It really hurts." She tears up.

"Tris, you just ate a lot. That's probably why," I say, trying to flush the worry from my voice. "Is it like, sharp pains, or something similar to a stomach ache?"

"Stomach ache," she states.

"Then that's probably what it is," I say, putting my arm around her shoulders.

She nods reluctantly.

"I can't wait until they're here," I state, changing the subject.

"I can't either," she smiles lightly.

"Who do you think will be born first?" I ask.

"Trevor," she says after thinking about it.

"I think Tailynn," I say.

"Just because you were right about the genders doesn't mean you'll be right about this," she chuckles.

"We'll see," I smirk.

Tris gets up off the couch and walks towards the kitchen.

"I'm getting some water do you wan--" her sentence is cut off by her gasping, looking at her stomach with wide eyes.

I stand immediately.

"Tris? Wh-what's going on?" I ask, afraid to hear the answer.

She sets her eyes in mine and they are still wide with fear or shock- I can't tell.

"Tris. Oh my God, Tris. Come on we have to get you to--"

"One of them kicked," she states in wonder.

"What?"

"One of them kicked, Tobias."

"So they're ok? You're ok?" I ask.

She nods, placing her hands on her stomach.

"Tobias, one of them kicked," she tells me for the third time.

"Really?" I ask, smiling widely.

"C'mere," she says.

I walk towards her and she takes my hands, placing them on certain spots of her stomach.

After a few seconds I feel a hard, confident kick on my left hand. A few seconds later, one on my right.

Tears swim in my vision.

"They both just kicked," I say, smiling.

"Aww, your crying," she says, reaching up and wiping the tears off my cheeks.

"They kicked for me," I say.

"They love you, Tobias. So much."

I bend down and kiss each side of her stomach, and according to Tris, they kicked in the exact same spots afterwards.

"I love you Tris," I tell her.

"I love you too Tobias," she says.

I lean down and kiss her gently on the lips.

"I can't believe we are having a family."

<><><>

Heyyyyy!

How's your summer so far?!

I think I did an ok job on this chapter, definitely not my best though.

Happy 4th of July! 🇺🇸 (if you live in America)

QOTD: What book are you currently reading?

AOTD: Article 5 👌🏻

Bye!

Be brave. <4