Chapter 28

Chapter 28:

Tris' POV:

Today we're going to see Evelyn to tell her about the babies. I'm really nervous, because last time we talked, it didn't end well. I'm just hoping she'll start to like me again.

"Ready to go?" Tobias asks after breakfast.

"Yeah, I guess so."

"Hey, we'll be fine. We'll all be fine," he says, lightly touching my still-flat stomach.

"How am I going to get on the train without hurting them?" I ask.

"We can walk," he says.

"Won't it be far?"

"Yes, but you need exercise remember?"

I roll my eyes and laugh, then we head out.

"Are you nervous?" I ask him.

"Umm, kind of I guess. Just for her reaction. But I'm happy to see her again. Are you nervous?"

"Yeah," I answer quickly.

"Don't be. I'll make sure she doesn't say anything hurtful towards you or the babies. I promise," he kisses me sweetly.

"Thank you."

As we walk and get closer to Abnegation, I notice that my hand is resting on my stomach. It must've been there for a while. I don't really understand why my hand is there, because its still flat. I guess I just like knowing that my babies are in there.

I take my hand away.

"When will you start showing?" Tobias asks.

"I don't know. I'm assuming sooner than normal because there are two babies instead of one," I answer.

He nods.

"I like it when you have a baby bump. It reminds me that I'm going to be a father--again."

He says again like he's not sure if he has ever really been a father. Sure, we had Trace, but only for about a day.

I sigh. I hope he thought he was still a father before we found out about the twins after Trace had passed.

After walking for a while, we arrive in the Abnegation sector. My stomach churns.

She's gonna hate me. I haven't told Tobias yet, but I really want Evelyn to start liking me again. I want a mother figure in my life, and she's my only shot at one. My mother-in-law.

We arrive at Evelyn's home and approach the door. Before we knock, Tobias says, "Hey, don't be nervous ok? I love you," he pecks my lips, then taps on the door.

Soon, it opens and Evelyn stands there in her gray clothing.

"Tobias!" She exclaims, hugging him.

Her eyes settle on me and narrow.

"You," she spits.

"Hello Evelyn," I respond, giving her a genuine smile.

"May we come in?" Tobias asks.

She just nods.

I grasp on to Tobias' hand to mask my nervousness. She leads us into her living room, and we sit on the uncomfortable gray couch, just like last time.

"What brings you here Tobias?" She pays no attention to me, pretending I'm not there. I look down.

"Well, we wanted to tell you that," he looks at me, "Tris is pregnant again. With twins."