Ten... And a Half.

Three Years Ago ....

[Name] sat at the edge of her older brother's bed, fingers undoing the updo her hair had been styled in, falling into loose curls around her shoulders. She hummed while she waited, her brother in the closet of his bedroom. It took a while for him to rid of the disguise he wore outside the mansion's walls, and his devil fruit was especially effective coming from enemy territory.

Cracker walked out from his closet wearing loose, casual clothing, his disguise discarded. Without it, [Name] was able to see the true scowl he previously hid; his frustration was obvious. "Are you better now?" Her tone gentle, as if coaxing a beast. His teeth grit, but he settled on the opposite side of the mattress.

"No matter how much I push my agents, I can't find a way into his work. Mom is going to be pissed if she finds out that our men keep going missing."

This wasn't the first time [Name] had heard about the dealings with their mother's rivals, however it was the first time she'd seen one of her older siblings so worked up about them. [Name] leaned back, her back hitting the mattress. "Why is mom so worked up about this specific person, anyways?"

"He's expanding into the weapons market and taking a lot of our business. But their defenses are tight, and none of us know where they're operating from, or how they're bribing buyers to go to them instead of us." His fist hit his knee, knuckles white. "I hate that man.... He's got a damn web of connections! It's frustrating."

[Name] cocked her head. For the last few months she'd been hearing about a man with deep connections, his business seemingly coming out of nowhere- a subordinate under the name of one of Mom's biggest rivals. She couldn't help but be curious.... "I keep hearing things about this person, what's their name?"

Cracker spat the name out, as if it were foul tasting.

"Joker".

....

......

-Joker bids 100 million-

Joker?!

With everyone's attention suddenly on Doflamingo, [Name] concluded that it was his code name that just appeared on the screen. The room felt as if it grew silent, [Name's] heart hammering against her ribs as she stared wide-eyed at the man sitting beside her...

There's no way... she swallowed, throat growing dry. This can't be the same person?

The announcer's voice slowly captured her attention, "W-Well this is a surprise! Is anyone going to attempt to outbid?" It was then that [Name] realized the room had quite literally gone silent. Before, soft chatter could still be heard, just under the loud announcer's voice.... But now, nothing. "Going once... Going twice..... And sold!"

His expression was unreadable, his body shifting away from [Name]. With his head held in the palm of his hand, elbow propped up against the armrest, he lounged without a notable care in the world. As if he hadn't just spent that much money on a rare, legendary necklace.

The rest of the family watched the man in shock, Trebol leaning over, his snot dangling over Sugar's head. "Niiiii, when was the last time you participated in the auction?! What's this about?"

"Y-Yes Young Master, I can't recall the last time you even bought an item up for sale!" Jora added. Senor Pink was the only one who sat back, watching Doflamingo with a calculated gaze. He, perhaps, would have been the only one to recognize what was happening... What might have been unfolding right before their very eyes.... His lips lifted the slightest. So hard-boiled, Young Master.