Twenty-Four.

(A/N: for the piano part later on, I imagine [Name] singing Je Te Laisserai Des Mots, so I recommend listening to that when you read it later, but you can of course imagine any song when you read that part)

"It's been a long time since I last saw my daughter," Whitebeard praised, his enormous hand patting the top of her head. She smiled at the touch, eyes full of warmth as she listened to him.

"I know, I'm sorry I've been so busy." She sat on a chair beside his giant bed, ignoring the new beeping monitors that were hooked up to his body.

He gave her a knowing look, "because you have a man in yer life now, I hear?"

She quickly looked over to Ace, who suddenly looked away himself, arms crossed in front of his chest. She glared as he started to whistle, causing Marco to snicker.

"Yeah, is that all you've heard?"

"Well, the brat told me who you're dating," she hesitated to look up at him, "I'm not gonna tell ya how to live yer life, but I AM gonna tell ya to be careful. He's not a man to be messed with, but I doubt I have to tell ya that myself. Amirite?"

She pat his hand, "he really cares about me," he looked skeptical, "and you guys know I'm careful. I have reinforcements set up, just in case."

He finally smiled, "smart girl."

"Yer too easy old man!" Ace suddenly chimed, kicking off the wall he leaned against. "dontcha know it's the Joker she's dating? She's half his age!"

"mind yer business boy," he scowled, causing Ace to flinch, "why're yer so invested?"

"Because he's jealous, maybe?" Marco mocked, causing a smug grin to form on [Name's] face as she looked over at her friend. His cheeks flushed, immediately defensive as he growled, "yeah right, she wishes! Can't I just be worried 'bout my pal?"

"We can all go for dinner if you want?" [Name] gently offered, shrugging, "I can host something small and have a few of you over?"

Ace blinked at the offer, causing White Beard to grin. "There's an idea!"

His face fell into an exaggerated scowl, "fine, but only if you cook a lota meat. You gotta make it worth the headache I'm gonna have after."

She grinned, "sure thing pal. Anyways, my business is really beginning to thrive," she turned to White Beard, who graciously allowed the subject change. "I'm even going to sing at the Flamingo tonight!"

"o hohoho, I wish I could see that!"

"There's actually going to be a stream of it!" She announced, causing the others to pay attention. "My friend Milo is going to record it and stream it; I sent the link to Marco already."

They talked for a while about it, so long that [Name] almost forgot to give White Beard the cake she made for him. His reaction was like a proud, grateful father, and she felt lighter in spirit as she left his room. Ace escorted her out, Marco hanging back to give him his medication.

"So," he drawled, "it must be some rough fucking sex."

She almost fell on the damn staircase; Ace grabbed her bicep before she could. He smirked, "ya thought you hid it well, huh?" Leaning down, his face a little too close to hers, he taunted, "can't fool a player like me, [N/N], I'd spot those hickies a mile away."

Ignoring the blush on her cheeks she hissed, "I guess Marco's right about your little crush, hmm? You're looking really closely at my body for someone not interested in it~"