#7: Interhigh Preliminaries (Part 1)

Start from the beginning

"Kinoshita Hisashi, second year, wing spiker."

"Kageyama Tobio, first year, setter."

"Hinata Shoyo, first year, middle blocker."

"Tsukishima Kei, first year, middle blocker."

"Yamaguchi Tadashi, first year, middle blocker and pinch server."

Haneul looked at them as they both stood and headed up the stage. She waited expectantly to be called to the stage by Daichi, and expected him to mispronounce her name, until he continued to speak.

"Our final member is, other than a new addition to the team, a change in the way of playing volleyball. I speak for everyone when I say that this next member is our good luck charm, and one of our secret weapons." Haneul blushed madly. Everyone were smiling from the stage, even Kei.

"Kazama Haneul, first year transfer student, manager and Libero." She was happy Daichi could say her name correctly, but she was too busy trying to ignore everyone looking at her to actually smile or show any sign of appreciation. The brunette rapidly took her place aside Tadashi, who gave her a smile.

She listened intently at Daichi's speech, smiling at the crowd shyly. Once it was over, they all bowed at the crowd and went down the stage. The vice principal called Haneul over, so the others went to sit without her in a designated area in the gym's bleachers. "Where's Haneul-chan?" Asked Daichi, looking to see if everyone had followed suit. "The vice wanted to talk to her," Ennoshita reported, and the captain nodded, sitting back down.

While the principal gave the closing speech, Haneul made it to her team and sat aside Hinata and Kageyama. "Dis you get in trouble?" Hinata whispered, making Haneul smile. "No... I'll tell you later, Shoyo-kun." Hinata blushed and proceeded to look forward and listen to the speech.

"Sorry I'm late

"Sorry I'm late..." Haneul apologized, fixing her shoes at the gym entrance. "It's alright. Practice hasn't started yet," Daichi said, ruffling her hair. "Yah, you embarrassed me, Daichi-senpai..." Haneul whined, fake-hurt. The said captain chuckled and smiled, "It was actually a team effort." Everyone circled around her with a smile. "That's right!" Sugawara started, "It means that you're our lucky charm, kohai~"

Haneul's face turned completely red, and she bowed to show respect. "T-thank you...!" "Oh hey," Hinata said, gaining everyone's attention, "What did the vice principal want with you?" Kageyama hit Hinata in the head. "What do you care, idiot?! It's her business!"

Haneul chuckled, "He told me the girls that bullied me got suspended." "That's great!" Tadashi exclaimed, and Haneul nodded. "I know everyone is excited, but let's start practice," Keishin said, and the others went off to the court. Before Haneul could go with them, he placed a hand on her shoulder. "If they bully you again, I'm here for you, 'kay?" Haneul nodded with a closed-eyed smile. "Yes, coach!"

"Okay, that's all for today! Let's go home early and rest up!" Exclaimed Keishin, ending the meeting

"Okay, that's all for today! Let's go home early and rest up!" Exclaimed Keishin, ending the meeting. "A-ah! Wait a minute!" Takeda called, gaining everyone's attention, "Can I add one more comment from Shimizu and Kazama?" Everyone looked at their manager duo, that stood aside Takeda.

"I'm not good at pep talks," Kiyoko started. "And I don't l-like public speaking..." Haneul blushed, looking down and fidgeting with her fingers. The both girls then went up to the second floor, and together pulled on something, hanging it from the fencing.  "One, two, three...!" They both counted, and let go of the banner.

The whole team was in awe at the banner. "Woah, I didn't know we had that," Sugawara said. "We found it while we were cleaning, so we washed it," Kiyoko explained. "I'm on fire!!" Tanaka exclaimed, clenching his fists. "I'm impressed! You do good work, girls!" Nishinoya joined in. "Alright! It's time to get psyched-" the duo was interrupted by Daichi, "Wait! I think... there's more."

The group looked up expectantly at their managers. Kiyoko blushed slightly, and said, "You can do it." The third and second years then proceeded to shed tears of joy, but Daichi said, "Haneul is going to say something too." Haneul's face flushed red, and she fidgeted more with her fingers. "U-um... L-Lets... Let's keep on running towards our dream together, okay?" At the end of the sentence, Haneul looked at them and smiled widely, her cheeks hiding her eyes. She then went down the stairs with Kiyoko, both of them flustered.

There was a long silence afterwards, but then the first years she'd tears of joy as well. Except for Kei, whom was just blushing. "Shimizu has never done this before!" Daichi cried. Nishinoya and Tanaka were dumbstruck. "We're going to win round one!!" Exclaimed Daichi, and everyone cheered along with him. Haneul's face was still red, and Kiyoko was blushing as well. "I have the strength of a thousand men!" Hinata exclaimed. Takeda and Keishin laughed, and Takeda called for a group photo.