𝟑𝟏. 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐀𝐃𝐃𝐄𝐒𝐓 𝐒𝐎𝐍𝐆 𝐈 𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐑 𝐇𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐃

ECLIPSE.
[ "THE SADDEST SONG I EVER HEARD" ]

CAMILA WAS TIRED. As was typical of the past few weeks, Camila had barely slept a wink all night. She had called Caroline's number about a hundred or so times before trying to get to sleep with no success and when she tried to dial once more, the robotic telephone voice indicated to her that the line had been disconnected. Camila assumed Caroline didn't want to speak to her. Caroline had, however, picked up a call from Stefan who conversed with her for a short amount of time before she invited him to meet her somewhere. Damon and Camila had both sent Stefan off with stern warnings to be careful and not underestimate Caroline but, if Camila was honest, she knew Stefan was far too good-natured and by proxy also far too easy to fool. And so here she was tossing and turning in bed, waiting to hear something - literally anything - from any of her friends about how it went.

With Christmas break officially starting, Camila was in the room that Bonnie often labelled "her room" (but Camila was reluctant to say the same) at Bonnie's childhood home. What Camila wanted to do more than anything right now was go for a walk and take in the scent of freshly fallen snow and revel in the feeling of the moonlight and the pure aloneness of the streets. Of course it was near impossible to do given Camila would have to cross in front of Bonnie's room to get out and Bonnie was one very light sleeper.

Instead Camila settled for second best.

Are you awake?

The text was sent and almost instantaneously her phone began to ring, causing a giddy smile to light Camila's face. She moved over quickly to the window, pulling it open and grabbing a blanket behind her as she sat on the small slab of concrete that lay flat just outside the window, the top of the garage adjoined to the side of the house. She threw the blanket over her legs, shuffling to get comfortable before quickly hitting accept on the call request.

"Camila, what have I told you about calling me at the early hours of the morning and what kind of message that conveys to me?" Kai began instantaneously with an attempt at a stern tone but she could hear his words being spoken through a smile. "I have no interest in being just your late night booty call, woman..."

Camila couldn't contain her laughter. "Did you just use my full first name?"

"This is a serious matter, Miss Atkins..." Camila's wry smile grew even more at Kai's words and the strange feeling she got from hearing him address her as 'Miss Atkins' which she almost immediately tried to push away. "Everything okay?"

"Yeah, of course..." she brushed off nonchalantly. There was no response from Kai for a few seconds before he let out an almost excessive sigh.

"Maybe I should rephrase the question. Could you please tell me what's wrong?" He pleaded sweetly, dragging out the end of the 'please' for extra effect. She found again that she couldn't hold back the smile that tugged at her lips.