𝟎𝟖. 𝐁𝐀𝐂𝐊 𝐀𝐓 𝐎𝐍𝐄

ECLIPSE.
[ "BACK AT ONE" ]

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY, PRINCESS

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY, PRINCESS."

Camila stumbled backwards as Kai greeted her brightly as soon as she exited her room. "Thanks, Kai." Camila began her descent down the stairs but turned back to Kai, looking over her shoulder. "But don't call me that."

"You know, maybe that can be my birthday present. You never call me princess again." Kai followed behind Camila as she entered the kitchen and pulled open the fridge. He tilted his head, contemplating it before declining. "No, I enjoy annoying you too much."

"Maybe I should make breakfast today? It is our last breakfast in this hell." Camila smiles brightly, looking through the various food items in the fridge. "Oh, that reminds me." Kai smiled brightly before scrambling out of the room and returning moments later.

"Close your eyes."

"But-"

"Close. Your. Eyes." Kai ordered sternly. Camila didn't feel like she had the energy to argue with him so she complied, shutting her eyes and crossing her arms over her chest. She heard Kai set something down and then pace around the kitchen, clearly looking for something Camila judged from the sound of opening and closing of drawers.

"Can I open my eyes yet?" Kai made a noise of hesitation before pacing faster and then stopping suddenly beside her. "Now you can."

When Camila opened her eyes, a small stack of waffles with a single candle stuffed in the middle was set in front of her. Camila opened her mouth, ready to shoot the various insults she had conjured up in the past few seconds but instead, she did the unthinkable.

"Thanks, Kai, this is really sweet."

"Yeah, I was too lazy to go get you a proper present but I didn't want you to have the worst birthday ever because it's kind my fault that you're here but, I mean, I don't really care because I like having someone to talk to but I still-" Kai rambled, his words becoming faster with each syllable. Wow, the boy could talk.

Camila took Kai's hands in her own and Kai stopped speaking instantly looking down at the area she had made contact with him. "Kai, I said thank you." She released his hands and he nodded, pleased with his efforts. "Oh yeah." Kai remembered something. He shuffled his hand around in his back pocket before pulling out a packet of sour strawberry laces.

"Is this a thing now?" Camila teased, tearing open the packet and offering him one which he took gratefully. "Gross. Do you like me or something?" Kai exclaimed, raising his hands whilst chewing on the sweet. "Shut up, you ruined the whole 'being nice' thing." He shrugged, beginning to walk out of the kitchen.

"Where are you going?"

"To pack my bag. We're going home."

-