Chapter 34

- (TWO DAYS LATER) -

I jogged down a few steps of the stairs, stopping to a halt when i heard voices coming from the kitchen. The voices were hushed but still audible.

I put my arm out, stopping Sophie who had been walking down the stairs behind me.

"Listen." I whispered.

"You do realise you can't keep her away from this forever." Max's voice sounded.

"Yeah but it's just it's so easy for her to get caught up in everything Max." My Mom replied. "And i'm trying my best to make everything easier. She has a lot going on and she needs to take time to herself to recover from blows like this or everything will just start piling up and it'll break her. She really loved Justin."

"I know all of that Liza, but i just don't think cutting her off from everything and everyone is doing her any good."

"Are you saying i should give her her phone back? Let her deal with all this?"

"I don't know." Max said. "Yeah, maybe. She's not exactly a child."

Sophie and i traded glances.

Since arriving in California, my Mom had taken my phone and laptop away from me. She said i needed some time to myself and i was not in the mood to fight with her over that. But this meant i'd had zero contact with anyone in three days.

"Justin calls and texts though.. a lot." My Mom said. "I've shown you some of the messages Max. She doesn't need that. Not yet."

"Maybe it would be good for them to talk." Max suggested.

"Are you kidding me?! Justin cheated on her Max. Did you not see how bad that affected her? How it's still affecting her?!"

"Gee thank's for reminding me Mom." I whispered. Sophie licked her lips.

"I'm not saying throw everything at her and leave her to deal with it by herself. I'm saying don't invade her privacy or cut her off from the people she needs right now."

"And what if she reads those comments Selena made?" My Mom spoke up. "Then what?"

"I don't know, but shes going to hear about them at some point."

I looked at Sophie. "What Selena comments?"

She exaggerated shrugging her shoulders. "I dunno."

I narrowed my eyes at her. "Has she said something?"

"No, no." She insisted. She tried to divert her eyes but my stare was too strong.

"Was it bad?"

She gave in. "Well.. it kinda made the news.."

"What did she say?" I sighed.

Sophie nibbled on her lip. "I wasn't supposed to tell." She worried.

I sighed again. I turned away from her, shaking my head. She obviously wasn't gonna tell me.

I walked down the rest of the stairs, turning towards the kitchen.

My Mom stopped mid-sentence, turning her head to stare at me.

"Oh hey honey." She fakely greeted. She tucked her hair behind her ear. "What's up?"

"What has Selena said about me?"

My Mom opened her mouth.

"Please don't deny it. I heard you just then."

They traded worried glances.