Chapter 41

I got ready for Scooters birthday party at Adam's house. Scooter had gone all out, inviting tons of people to stay at his place, including my Mom, Grandparents etc, so i was staying at my uncle Adam's in one of his spare rooms whilst in Atlanta.

I perched on the edge of the bed, smoothing down my skirt as i let a sigh escape my lips. I remained there for a moment, before turning my head to the side. I slowly opened up my suitcase, shifting up a pair of black jeans to the side and pulling out the white envelope underneath.

I nibbled on my lip, staring down at it for a moment before closing the suitcase again and opening up the envelope.

I tipped out the promise ring and note Justin had sent me into my left hand, placing the envelope onto the bed beside me. Holding the ring in my clenched fist, i unfolded the paper, re-reading the note.

" To the love of my life,

I'm so sorry. I'll do whatever it takes to make it up to you.

I love you so much.

- J x "

I sighed, gazing at Justin's messy writing for a few moments before putting the note back into the envelope.

I slowly uncurled my fist, gazing down at the little silver ring in the palm of my hand. I held it between my thumb and forefinger, pursping my lips as i thought back to what Justin promised when he first gave me it.

I knitted my eyebrows, the beginnings of a headache forming in my temple.

I turned the ring over, before slowly sliding it onto my right hand ring finger, where i used to wear it, gazing down at the little silver J.

I gingerly touched it with my other hand, and then i took it off, sliding it onto the next finger along, playing with it.

I pushed it down my middle finger, wiggling it a little to get it to go down.

There was a knock on the door of my bedroom.

I quickly covered the ring with my other hand.

Max stood by the door, one eyebrow cocked and a smirk on his lips.

"Your date's here, red-head."

"Oh, thanks." I smiled. "I'll be down in a sec."

"Alright kiddo, don't be long."

He walked away from the door.

I sighed, uncovering the ring and placing my fingers on it. I tried to pull it off.

"Shit." I mumbled.

I twisted it, trying to get it off.

"Shit." I cursed again. I stood up, placing all my left hand fingers on it as i pulled at the ring. "Come on, come on."

I chewed on my lip as i quickly turned and put my heels on. I tried again to pull it off but it was really stuck, and my long nails were too fragile to pull at it.

"Hey Ri." I heard a voice.

I snapped my head up, quickly stopping what i was doing.

My heart sank.

"Cody!" I beamed. I jogged across the room to hug him.

"Wow, you look beautiful."

"Thank you." I breathed. I put my hands behind my back, still trying to wiggle off the ring.

"You ready to go?" He grinned.

"Erm, yes."

I stopped fiddling with the ring and quickly grabbed my clutch.