sixty - five - "american medical board of surgery certifying examination" - 65

"The Harper Avery is one of the highest awards a surgeon can earn. They always make the calls to the nominees on the same Friday, of the same month, at 8 am East Coast time. 5 am in Seattle. My mother was nominated five times. I've been through this before. If the phone rings, everything changes. Suddenly, you're a superstar. If it doesn't... I don't know. My mom was a superstar. She always got the call. My mom didn't think she'd win. She thought it was a popularity contest and she wasn't popular. She was a woman, and a fellow, and her arrogance could rub people the wrong way. She hadn't allowed herself to imagine the possibility of winning because she wanted it too much. And when they called my mom's name, she was genuinely shocked. It was validation of all her hard work and sacrifice. She came home and told me she didn't win the Harper Avery. She earned it."
-Meredith Grey, S10E19, "I'm Winning"

"Surgery is a solo act. We step up to the table with a scalpel in our hand and we go it alone. The isolation can start to define you, because even though you're surrounded by a team, what it really comes down to is your training. Your choices. Your wits. Your hands. Your stitch. It comes down to just you. Surgeons are trained to go it alone, to be solo artists. To be mavericks both in and out the OR. But the truth is we are never alone. We stand on the shoulders of those who came before us. We stand side by side with the colleagues who have supported us. Prepared us. For the moment that every surgeon lives for. When it all comes down to your training. Your choices. Your wits. Your hands. Your stitch. When it all comes down to you."
-Meredith Grey, S10E20, "Go It Alone"

"Over the past twenty years, one of the most valuable tools a doctor has is the algorithm. Your patient's main complaint goes into a box and then the formula helps you to decide what to do next. But what happens when the problem doesn't fit into a box? Well, you're suddenly on your own. Unexpectedly, with about a thousand paths to choose from. So what do you do? How do you decide when you're left in the dark? How do you make sure you're not making the worst mistake of someone's life? You close your eyes. You block out everyone and everything around you and you pray that the voice inside you is right. Because once you've decided, you can't ever go back."
-Meredith Grey, S10E21, "Change of Heart"

"Sometimes you just need to get out of town. Get a new perspective. But you can't always see that you need a new perspective, because you, well, need a new perspective to be able to see that. It's complicated. Open your eyes. What do you see? More possibilities? Does your new view give you more hope? That's the goal. Although it doesn't always work out that way. Sometimes a shift in perspective just makes you see what you've lost."
-Meredith Grey, S10E22, "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together"

"Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. Emergency rooms are kept in business by people who have learned that lesson in the hard way. Skydivers, bullriders. People whose bold ideas can often result in broken bones and smushed spleens. Surgeons are trained to deal with the fallout of bold ideas. We pick up the pieces and do our best to fit them back together. The thing about the bold moves is they're terrifying, could end in nothing but tears and broken bones. And that's exactly what makes them so damned exciting."
-Meredith Grey, S10E23, "Everything I Try to Do, Nothing Seems to Turn Out Right"

"If the phone rings, everything changes. Suddenly, you're a superstar. If it doesn't... I don't know. My mom was a superstar. She always got the call."

"Mer, seriously, what if they don't call?"

Anna woke up to screaming and yelling from Meredith, Cristina, Alex, and Jo as Cristina finally got her 5am call from the Harper Avery foundation.

"You are gonna be gracious and humble. You are gonna thank them, but you are not going to grovel. You remember who you are. You are Cristina Yang, and you are going to change the face of medicine. Go." Meredith gave her a pep talk, filming her reaction.