37. NEEDS

Zain and Usman along with half of the team were standing in front of the main gate, waiting for Khaqan's signal to attack. Zain was staring at the lock of the gate. His heart was beating so fast that he could hear it in his ears. Usman was looking at him worriedly. He was about to say something to him when Khaqan spoke in the earpiece.

"The building seems to be empty, Mr. Zain." He has said. Usman looked at Zain in horror and spoke in the mic quickly,

"What do you mean empty? Can't you feel any movement?" He asked.

"No sir," Khaqan's reply came.

"What do we do?" Usman asked Zain.

"We have to see," Zain said gesturing towards the house.
Usman nodded and motion the two men standing behind them holding the cylindrical weight to break the door. They came forward. Usman and Zain got ready in their positions pointing their pistols towards the gate. After two hits the door gave up. They entered quietly although there was no need as most probably the building was empty. They searched the ground but found nothing. Zain went upstairs, Usman quickly followed him. Zain opened the door of the first room. It was empty. Usman reached the next one when he opened the door he was stopped in his place. In the center of the empty room, stood a chair, and on that chair sat Moona. Her hands were behind the chair. A piece of cloth was used to shut her mouth. She looked up at the noise and tears came quickly filling her sockets.

"Moona!" Zain's voice brought Usman to consciousness. He was reaching towards her when Usman followed him and started opening her hands. Zain released the cloth from her mouth.

"We have found Moona on the first floor. Search for the rest of the building. Yumna must be here somewhere." Usman said in the earpiece.

"Are you okay?" Zain asked her. She just nodded.

"I was scared," Zain said.

"I know." Moona smiled sadly. "There is something I want to tell you." Usman was still struggling with the bounds. Zain was sitting on his toes in front of her.

"What?" He asked.

"The time I spent here, away from you, away from Haniya, away from everybody. I realized something. Something I have been neglecting in the past." She was slowly in low mumbles.

"And what is that?" Zain asked smiling.

"I need someone, who can protect me. I am done living alone." She said. The smile on Zain's face was disappeared. In fact, he was looking at her with shock evident from his grey eyes. Usman was also watching her forgetting the bounds. "Yes, I need you, Zain. Please marry me." She said.

"WHAT????" Usman screamed. His expression was like he had eaten something bitter. Zain shoved him off placing his palm on his face and rolling his eyes. Then he turned to Moona and smiled.

"Mazher should have kidnapped you earlier." He smiled. Usman straightened up and opened her bounds quickly and stood up.

"This is not a very romantic spot!" He said, annoyed. Suddenly a soldier entered the room. Moona and Zain had stood up now. She was rubbing her wrists.

"The building's clear, boss. No one is here." The soldier said.

"No that cannot be. There must be a girl. Did you check properly?" Usman said. Horror written in their eyes as they exchange glances.

"Yes, sir no basement, no secret passageway, nothing." He shook his head.

"Did you check the roof?" Zain asked.

"There is nothing on the roof boss. It's empty." Khaqan said in the earpiece.

"They have taken her." Usman sighed. Zain just nodded.

"I am going back home. You complete your work here and give me your report as soon as possible. Now I have to find Yumna." He said to Usman. The conversation he had with Moona before was erased from his mind. He took her hand and went outside.

           ......................

The car stopped in front of Moona's house. When Zain had left it was getting dark and now the night had crept its paws on the city. Zain looked out in the dark.

"You go inside. I'll be right back." He said to Moona.

"Where are you going?" She frowned.

"To the masjid." Came the reply. Moona nodded and got out of the car. Zain remained there until she went inside then he raced the car and went away.

Moona opened the door of the lounge and saw everybody sitting there in silence. Hashim was the first to notice her. He quickly stood up followed by Khadija who reached her, crying.

"Thank God you are back," She said hugging her.

"It's okay!" Moona hugged ger back and went towards the lounge.

"Where is Yumna?" Salma asked as Khalil took his sister in his arms.

"They left the building with her before the raid!" Moona told her.

"Oh, God." Salma cried and sat back on the couch.

"Where is Zain?" Hashim asked.

"He dropped me here and went to the mosque. He will be here." She said and sat down picking up Haniya in her arms. She placed a soft kiss on her cheek.
"Did you miss me, darling? She smiled. Shanzay came out of the kitchen with a glass of water in her hands.

"Here, you must be hungry. I am making dinner. It will be ready soon." She smiled. Moona nodded at her and took the glass.

"It's all your fault." Salma glared at Moona.

"Salma, pull yourself together. What are you saying?" Khalil said sitting beside her. Blood drained from Moona's face. She looked at her with horror.

"I am right. It's all because of her." Salma cried. "Just because we are following her husband's murder. Why didn't they take her instead of my daughter?"

"Apaa, don't say anything that you will regret later. It's not because of  Moona. It's all because of Zain. He killed one of their very important men. A very important one. It's all because of this. They are taking revenge. You have to pull yourself together. You are her mother. Only your prayers can save Yumna wherever she is and instead of praying for her you are blaming your sister-in-law?" Hashim said in low voice sitting on the carpet in front of Salma. Khalil sighed and then held her up taking her inside the room.

"It's gonna be okay." Shanzay placed her hand on Moona's shoulder. Moona just smiled tiredly at her.

          ......................

Zain was coming out of the Masjid when his mobile rang. He took out the mobile from his pocket and opened the door of the car. It was an unknown number. He pressed the 'answer' button and placed the phone between his ear and shoulder.

"Yes, Zain speaking!" He said.

"Your time is over now. You underestimated me." Mazher's harsh voice came from the other side. Zain quickly closed the door of the car.

"Where is Yumna?" He asked.

"I gave you the opportunity but you missed it!" Mazher said.

"I can still give you the file." Zain sighed.

"Oh, poor boy! I do not get stung by the same hole twice!! You will see now what I am gonna do with her." He said in a cold voice and hung up.

"Hello!! Hello!!!" Zain yelled but the line was dead. He quickly called back. "The number you've dialed is powered off!" The machine told him. "Ahhhhh!!!!" Zain hit the staring wheel in frustration. He then took some deep breaths and composed himself. His mind was working very fast. Igniting the engine he started the car. When he reached the house, he texted the number to Usman and asked him to trace it. Then he came out of the car and went in.

"What about Yumna?" Khadija asked him as he entered the lounge.

"I am trying my best." Zain sighed and sat on the couch. His mobile beeped, it was from Usman, the number is off! Zain dialed his number.

"I know the number is off! Give me the location whenever it gets on!" He yelled.

"Alright!" Usman's voice came over.

"Shanzay, I need to talk to you!" Zain said as he put his mobile back in his pocket and gestured Shanzay outside in the lounge. Shanzay followed him out. Moona looked at Hashim in confusion.

"What's going on?" She asked.

"No idea." Hashim shrugged and sat back. He was staring at Assad who was playing in the corner with his son Saud. Hashim stood up and went towards them.

         ........................

"You kidnapped the widow and her niece????" Aasim yelled at Mazher who was sitting across him in his office. Ubaid was also present there. His face was red with anger.

"He deserved that!" Mazher replied.

"I asked you to make Zain miserable. Not by bringing harm to the women of his family." Aasim shouted.

"Why do you care?" Mazher was annoyed now.

"You can't understand, you don't have a family!" He said.

"My only family was Khalid whom Zain took away from me. I just played fair and square." Mazher said.

"Yeah! By kidnapping a woman and a child! Bravo!! You call it fair and square??" Aasim asked. "Does Munib know?" He asked. Mazher nodded. Ubaid who was sitting in his chair silently all the time leaned forward.

"You told us that Moona is back with the family. Right?" He asked.

"Yeah, Zain raid the place." Mazher nodded.

"Good, what about the girl, Yumna?" Ubaid asked. And what Mazher told them was painful enough for both of them. Aasim closed his eyes for a moment and then opened them. They were red with pain.

"You are a dishonorable man who just lost his respect in my heart. Yes, I ordered Taimoor's murder but I can never do such a thing to a young and beautiful girl like her. You have no right to live. You deserve death." And with a quick movement, he took out his pistol and shot Mazher right in his head. Ubaid looked at his boss with shock.

"I want you to clean this mess and send his dead body to Zain. Also, send him a message about the girl. He must know about her." Aasim said standing up. He was not looking normal.

"But it will reveal our identity, sir," Ubaid said raising to his feet.

"Who told you to reveal our identity? You know one hundred and one methods to do this." And with that Aasim left the office. Ubaid stood there shocked. He had decided what he has to do now.

           .....................