Chapter 30 | The Departure

Start from the beginning

"I'll be just a minute." You say as you step out of your father's quarters and dial Ahsoka's code into your comlink.

"Commander Tano."

"Hi Ahsoka."

"Hey (y/n), where are you? You're quite late for dinner."

"Ahsoka, can you and Anakin come to the entrance to the temple?" You ask quietly.

"Why? What's wrong?" She asked, clearly concerned.

"Just, do it please." You enforce. She didn't respond so you ended the call. You turned around to see Obi-wan closing the door behind him with his large bag over his shoulder. You trembled at the sight, he really was leaving.

"Let's go." He uttered in a low voice. You both slowly walked to the entrance of the temple in silence. You took a few glances at your father along the way to see him looking at all the walls and rooms of the temple, as if he were saying goodbye to his home that he has lived in for almost his whole life.

You reach the exit and turn around the corner to see the dark night sky through the cracks of the large pillars that make the entrance to the temple. As soon as you turned to face the night sky, Anakin and Ahsoka who were waiting outside quickly turned on their heels to find out why they were needed here. Both of their faces turned from worry to shock when they see Obi-wan. You and Obi-wan then started to slowly walk towards them.

"Obi-wan..." Anakin gulped. "Why are you holding that?" He asked timidly.

"I have to leave Anakin. I am...no longer a Jedi." Your father mutters.

"What? Why!?" Anakin yelled. Ahsoka stared at you with disbelief, and you gave her a subtle nod back to confirm this horrible truth.

"Anakin, I have broken the Jedi code. So I must suffer the consequences."

Anakin started shaking his head "No! No! That's not fair! This shouldn't happen!" Anakin yelled.

"Anakin, there is no argument here. This is the way it has to be." Obi-wan asserted. Anakin's anger turned into sadness and confusion.

"Anakin. I have trained you since you were a young boy. I have taught you everything I know and you have become a far greater Jedi than I could of hoped for you to become." Your father places his hand on his former padawan's shoulder. "Qui-gon would be proud. You are strong Anakin, and you will have to let me go."

Anakin sighed. "Where will you go?"

"I don't know. But I'll be fine." There was a moment of silence before Anakin pulled Obi-wan into a tight and close embrace.

"Thank you Master, for everything." Anakin said. He let go of his former Master and pushed out a small smile.

"Goodbye my old friend." Obi-wan responded. He turned to Ahsoka and the two then shared a short and sweet hug.

"Goodbye Obi-wan." Ahsoka said, on the brink of tears. "It's not going to be the same here without you." She sniffled.

"Goodbye Ahsoka. Take care of Anakin for me." He responded. A small smile formed on Ahsoka's face.

"Will do." Ahsoka replied.

"May the force be with you both." Obi-wan said clearly.

"May the force be with you." Both Ahsoka and Anakin responded. You could see the pride in Obi-wan's eyes as he gazed at the two powerful Jedi, showing him that he really had an impact on the Jedi order. Your father then broke eye contact and slowly walked between the two of them, you quickly followed.

You walked in silence just like before in the halls, until you reached the start of the steps leading to the bottom of the temple. Your father shrugged off his luggage, placing it beside him. You stood beside him on the other side and stared at the long and menacing steps with him.

"Well (y/n). This is goodbye for now." Obi-wan stated.

Your foot was tapping rapidly "How will you contact me to tell me where you are?" You question.

"I will find a way." After a moment your father reached down to his belt and turned to you.

"(y/n)? I want you to have this." He uttered quietly. You looked down to see him holding his lightsaber, the weapon that signifies him as a Jedi.

You were blown away "...Father, I...I can't." You say speechlessly.

"(y/n). This is now yours. Please take it, to represent the Kenobi family." He says, pushing his hand further out to give you his weapon. You slowly reach out and grasp onto the weapon while it still lay in his palm. Obi-wan pulls his hand away, leaving you holding the lightsaber in your hand. You swivel your wrist to inspect the lightsaber, this was your fathers, but now it was yours. You look back up to his face which now had such a genuine smile.

"May the force be with you...(y/n) Kryze Kenobi." Your father remarks.

"May the force be with you father. Goodbye." You express. You then share one last tender and emotional hug with your father. You pulled away and gazed into each other's eyes. Obi-wan leaned down and grabbed his luggage, throwing it back over his shoulder again. He took a deep breath before making his first step down the temple. He took another step, and another, now beginning to walk down the steps at a normal pace.

You continued to watch as your father got further and further away, until after quite a while of walking towards the city, finally blended in with the Coruscant population.

You remained in the same spot, pondering at the endless city of Coruscant, you only avert your gaze when you feel a soft and gentle hand grasp yours. You looked over your shoulder to see Ahsoka slightly shivering as she holds your hand.

"Come on (y/n). It's getting pretty cold." Ahsoka muttered, you could still see the glossiness in her eyes. You turned away from the night skyline of Coruscant and walked with Ahsoka back inside the temple, Anakin had already done so. She let go of your hand for obvious reasons but still walked close to you.

"Do you feel like dinner?" Ahsoka hesitantly asked. You shook your head.

"Nah, I'm not hungry." You answer with a frail voice. So, you continue to just walk in silence aimlessly through the halls of the temple.

Plo Koon POV

"Those two seem to be becoming far too close." Master Windu remarks as we look upon my padawan and Ahsoka who are walking side by side down the halls in front of us.

"Please Master Windu, my Padawan is dealing with probably the toughest portion of his life. He needs a good friend like Ahsoka right now." I argued, stopping our slow stroll and turning to be face to face.

"That does not matter Master Plo." Windu retaliates. "You will tell your padawan to cease contact with Padawan Tano, besides during Jedi matters, that is."

"Master Windu you cannot be serious. You have already taken away his father. Don't take away his closest friend too. That will leave him in a detrimental emotional and mental state." I demanded.

"Master Plo, I did not take his father away. Obi-wan made the wrong choice and he must suffer the consequences. So please end the friendship between your Padawan and Padawan Tano. For (y/n)'s own good." Master Windu concluded. He then walked off in the opposite direction leaving me standing by myself in the hallway.

I'll be honest, I do have my suspicions towards (y/n) and Ahsoka's relationship. Even if they have formed an attachment, I believe interfering will only end badly for the both of them. But if I disobey Master Windu, who knows what could happened to either of us. After his recent actions I mightn't be surprised if he ejected any one of us from the order as well. For the first time as (y/n)'s master I'm...not really sure what to do.