chapter 24 : must be a coincidence

Start from the beginning

"I can- I can read it to you." I hold the book tighter. I can't meet her eyes anymore. She must be thinking I'm weird. Or that I am hiding something bad inside the book.

She drops her hand. "Is everything alright, Cedar? You don't look too well, all of a sudden."

"I think I should go home," I say in a quiet voice. I finish the remaining coffee and hastily stand up. She stands up as well.

"Cedar, listen-"
"I have an exam tomorrow. I really need to go home. It was nice meeting you, Autumn."

I head to leave, then remember I have to pay. When I fidget for money in my pocket, she says, "It's on me."
"Huh? You don't have to. . ."
"It's fine. Consider it a small gift."
"Thank you."

When I again head to leave, wanting to increase the distance between us as much as possible, she again calls me. I turn.

"M-mind giving me your phone number?" She hesitantly asks, holding out her phone. I glance at it.

"Sure."

----------------

Somehow, I find myself going to the graveyard.

The drizzle became slower a few minutes back when I was coming out of the cafe, but now it's become loud and strong again. Coming to a graveyard at night is undoubtedly a suicide mission, especially since there are no lights and it is very dark and quiet. But I still came, feeling restless to meet Dawn.

I have came here so many times that I have the road to the solitary apple tree memorized in my heart. While I make my way there, I surprisingly discover another person heading my way.

She had no umbrella, so her long hair which is hanging loose is sticking to her face. I couldn't clearly tell what she was wearing, but it seemed like it was a simple shirt and pants. Thank goodness she isn't wearing a white dress.

When she is about to pass me by, I ask her, "Do you need an umbrella? You will catch a cold."

She stops, and pulls a strand of wet hair behind her ear. I still can't see her face well. "No," she says, her rather thick voice barely audible in the rain, "but thank you." She nods once and starts walking again. I look at her back for as long as it is visible in the darkness, which wasn't very long.

I reach my Dawn. I squat down in front of him, hugging the book with one hand and holding the umbrella with the other.

"You know, Dawn," I say, "I just learned that you can hear everything I say. I don't remember well what I said all this time, but I hope I didn't say anything that hurt you."

Thunder booms up ahead. The apple tree protects my umbrella from the raindrops. "Dawn, I don't think I will ever forget you. It is just not possible. But I can't tell for sure. As you read in the book, Toru almost forgot Naoko too less than twenty years later. That is terrifying to think. But I promise that you'll never leave my mind till my last breath."

I hope he heard it. Then I say, "My exams start tomorrow. Wish me luck, will you? I have a feeling I won't do well this time. Things are bad at home, and July is gone. If you can, please scold him and make him fall into a drain."

I smile at the thought. "Did you see what happened back at the cafe? I always knew I am bad with girls. I just didn't imagine I was that bad. I hope she doesn't think that I hide cocaine packets inside the book. Hmm, well, I think I might be a little interested in her. What do you think of her? I don't know, show me a sign."