Chapter 14: Balls

We were all in the Gryffindor Common Room after Herbology which was thankfully the last class of the day because I really don't think I could've studied any more after dealing with the treacherous Tentacula

We were all in the Gryffindor Common Room after Herbology which was thankfully the last class of the day because I really don't think I could've studied any more after dealing with the treacherous Tentacula. It was loud, louder than usual because it was obviously the weekend, if that was any excuse to stay up late doing absolutely nothing. Thankfully, if there were any parties going down, they took place in the boys' dormitory. Don't ask why, perhaps the House of the Brave likes being unpredictable. Mostly everyone was minding their own business, except of course the group I was in. They were all huddled up on the  couch, whispering about some unnecessary topic that would in no way benefit them or anyone else. Sirius was clothed in his very distracting Quidditch gear because he wanted to show off how he had washed it himself because apparently that was an achievement. Frank was the only absent one but I wasn't focussed on the group or the Converse addict. All of my attention was needed for the task at hand: non-verbal spells. I was determined to get it right this time, no matter the situation. I placed my feather quill on the carpeted floor directly in front of me. I was sat on the floor too. 

'Nevermind the sheer stupidity in having wild congregations around you and ignore the noise. You can do this!' I told myself. 'And especially don't pay any more attention to Sirius and his hot ass in that tight Quidditch uniform'. I had faith and that was enough at the best of times so there was no reason why it wouldn't be enough now. I crossed my legs sitting down in a more comfortable position and pulled my wand out hastily. The chatters coming from my ever so lively friend group increased with every small movement, every shiver of excitement, every flinch in anxiety and every quiver in anticipation. I pointed my wand at the quill; I was prepared. I was going to do it. My wand stayed raised in the air for what felt like a millennium as I concentrated all of my energy on that one object. Every bead of sweat that rolled down that was noticed was just a reminder of how I was still not paying enough attention to the feather. My jaw trembled as I tried not to work on instinct and mutter an incantation. 

I was ready.

Swish and Fl-

"REMUS! WE NEED TO TALK! Ow." James erupted. I didn't jerk my head, I just closed my eyes, trying to control the fumes from escaping my nostrils. His timing was just impeccable. I looked over slowly, my eyebrows were etched into a straight line in rage. I noticed that everyone in the room was now either staring at James: the source of the noise or me: the target. My lower jaw was biting into my teeth because I knew if I opened my mouth, I would blow like a volcano. Thankfully, I had a soft spot for James. I saw Lily was also mad about the drawn faces but she had resorted to violence unlike me. 

"What." I spoke through gritted teeth. Alice was the first to talk; they supposedly caught my irritation. Her light violet hair shone under the dimmed lighting and terribly contrasted the scarlet and gold colours. 

"So we were talkin-"

"I'm aware(a were)." The Marauders had descended into short fits of laughter like the children they were but I was able to shut them up with a glare except Sirius who was fulfilling his lifelong dream of being a toddler. I realised I came off slightly antsy but I had every right to be upset. Sort of. 

"Yes. So remember that girl that you were talking to?" Her slurred words collided with each other lightly, blending syllables and unrecognizable letters but she got her point across. The girl was always just a little bit tipsy, she said it gave her 'an edge and made living bearable'. She was found, no different than any other time, with a wine glass in her hand with a liquid that had been charmed purple for 'aesthetic reasons' which I never really understood. The minimal alcohol in the drink ensured she was never too drunk for the professors to find out but drunk enough so that if the teachers did find out, she wouldn't care. But returning to the point, I knew exactly which girl they were talking about, one Miss Proveaux. A very intriguing name for a very intriguing girl. Though to me, most French last names were sophisticated. In addition to knowing what they were talking about, I knew what they were going to say. But I played along, like the good sport I strived to be, replying with a drawn out 'yeahhhhh' trying to seem bewildered. 

"You should ask her out, Moony." I knew Lily was right, my preferred was, well males. But every once in a while, I found myself with a sudden, dire attraction to a girl so when Sirius, with his uncontrollable excitement screamed out his every word, I was one step ahead of them. I had actually found the confidence to say something. When it came to girls I like -because it was rarer than often- I just lose every shred of self assurance I ever owned and bail. I get nervous, my palms get sweaty and I can't seem to speak words. But this time, I just manned up and went for it and thankfully she said yes else what little self-esteem I had would have been permanently diminished. But why tell them?

"I already did. She said yes." I spoke in pride, my nose in the air the slightest bit. 

I looked at each of them in amusement: they were shook. I guess their minds couldn't possibly conceive that me -innocent little ReRe- had actually gone and asked a hot girl on a date. I was surprised myself. Even Lily stared at me like I had grown an extra head.

But I hadn't grown a head, I had grown balls.  

Word Count:- 1025

Word Count:- 1025

Love, Kale.