Chapter 12: Tryouts.

"Mister Potter, Mister Black, your assignment?" Divination

"Mister Potter, Mister Black, your assignment?" Divination. In complete honesty I just took it for an easy pass; I hate Divination.

"Well actually, we were um, reading the stars last night and they um, told us not to do our homework." Her eyes narrowed down, latching onto my trembling orbs. "Or we would suffer mortal perish." Her eyelids eased before doing a full 180, transitioning from narrowed to widened. 

"The Grim?" Her voice shivered with fear, her jaw stuttered throughout the entire two words. 

"The Grim." I solemnly whispered back in an attempt to build tension. She nodded and moved on to collect papers from the other suckers. The whole act was routine by now, I hadn't done a single piece of Divination homework for an entire term last year. I always threw the blame on the stars, the weird ball, the tea leaves, or just postponing it until she forgot. The old hag had a memory chip the size of a dehydrated pea. 

"Very well class. I'll see you all in a few days." The students -clad only in their shirts and trousers because of the astoundingly harsh afternoon heat- filed out of the upper room perhaps to their dorms but of course I had to go straight to tryouts.

"Did you have to hold the tryouts the day after our first practice? I'm still sore!" James' incompetence in correctly scheduling out plans was utterly disturbing. The slightest relief rose from the fact that it wasn't sickeningly early in the day and I actually managed to have a full ten hours of sleep. 

"Yeah, I need a backup Seeker as soon as possible if we want even the tiniest possible chance of winning. Plus, you'll literally just have to stand there. Frank agreed to do everything." Thank Merlin. I honestly don't know how Frank is still well, alive and breathing after basically carrying the Chasers and being a kick-ass Keeper at the same time at yesterday's game. We slid down the ladder; the Divination classroom was moved at the beginning of the year and we had to ascend this truly bothersome stepladder for the entirety of one class so far and it was already killing me. How was I supposed to bear its agony for so much longer. 

As we neared the Quidditch pitch, the crowd of -mostly- new faces or just people I never cared enough to care about came into view. It consisted completely of overexcited wannabes that hoped they were me. Obviously. I mean my long, luscious hair would only be a welcome addition to my already amazing bod and killer Beater skills. 

We walked directly onto the grass, Frank was already waiting clad in his Quidditch attire -with the exception of his orange Converse- and broom in hand. The hordes gathered round in a semi-circle. 

"No Lily?" I whispered to him as he strode up gracefully and I clumsily stumbled behind, trying to keep my mouth near his ear. 

"No, but Remus is here. Makes up for it in a way. Especially since he didn't bring a book so he'll actually watch." He stopped at the centre of the half-circle and pulled his chest up when he stood, in a rather dominant manner. "Okay, people trying out for Chasers on my left." He made the gesture. "Keepers on my right." He pointed to his right. "And finally, Seekers in front. No, we are not looking for Beaters!" He nodded in front. Most of the students shuffled around to their respective areas, a few left looking either incredibly furious, unbelievably unhappy or both. Like, get over it.