Chapter 09: pleine lune

It was the day of the first full moon of the year

It was the day of the first full moon of the year. I hated coming to these things, and it was the only thing I dreaded coming back from Hogwarts but James was always excited for some reason so I sucked it up and did it. I think in was the danger that intrigued and exhilarated him. I was never one for risk, I preferred staying on the sidelines, alone or not, watching the action go down.

It was Wednesday, nearing midnight when the full moon would be in full force. The three of us were in animagus form, with Remus, all hiding under the Invisibility Cloak, the Marauder's Map in hand. We were a little late so we had to rush. The sky was bright and illuminated by what seemed like thousands of stars. I disliked stars as well, they were just too happy. Nothing should experience that much of happiness. The air was still and everything was quiet except for the hushed 'shush's and the light treading of feet on the soft mud. Padfoot ran ahead to hold the knot in the Whomping Willow, it was thrashing violently at nothing in all directions at what seemed like the speed of light. The otherwise overly active tree slowed down to a slight waver while the rest of us clambered down the tree to the Shrieking Shack. The hole was rather large, especially to me: a mouse.

The wooden floors shivered with every small movement. The smell of stale blood and rotten wood was apparent and thorn-like pieces of bark stuck out from all directions waiting to harm someone. When we got to the shack itself, we transformed back until he changed just to keep him company. The wooden floors creaked beneath us, it was aged instead of spanking new like it was six years ago. Remus had conjured a piano in there a few years ago for no reason. I always found music to be a useless and disheartening tool. No doubt the work of some Muggle.

The sides of the shack were also rather battered, the moonlight poured through the ridges and grooves. The hand ticking on my watch inched closer to midnight with every click. It seemed very loud at this point among all the silent stares and Remus' small smiles. Prongs was always telling us how the first transformation back to school was important because he had to change alone at home. The hand on my clock signalled it was only two minutes to midnight. Remus and Prongs were staring at each other very intently which honestly made me feel rather uncomfortable. Then, suddenly James had lunged forth and wrapped his arms tightly around Remus' taller frame. Prongs was silently sobbing but Remus was practically balling, dampening Prongs' now-ruined sleeve. Sirius walked forward a few seconds in and pulled him back thankfully before the three of us departed though the time had already been wasted. As Padfoot held the knot once more, we began to make our way back to the common room, we were humans again. 

But all of a sudden, there was a whisper and the Cloak was whipped out from on top of us with a force. I braced, not daring to look if someone found us but then Prongs simply laughed. I peered up to see Lily standing a few metres away, the Cloak slung over her shoulder and her wand clutched in her right hand. 

"How did you know we were there?" I didn't really care for pointless banter with Evans, I needed to get to the comfort of my bed where I could sleep!