Chapter 41

Lauren's P.O.V.

Well I guess you can say I enjoyed my weekend. I made sure we spent every second possible together and I must say, it made me see a lost more clearly. I'm really seeing how any decision I make can seriously affect my family. Even with this realization, I still don't regret my actions and I wouldn't change what I did. I protected my wife, and honored that vow I made to do so on our wedding day.

I feel like our time together has been helping Mani deal with her own issues as well. She told me she's going to make an appointment with a therapist because being around people without one of us is beginning to make her anxious. That's a great step for her to make to ensure this incident doesn't control her life. With it being Tuesday, I've been getting increasingly more nervous about the trial. I'm not ready for prison. A holding cell was hell so I can't imagine what a real prison is like. Normani and I still haven't decided on whether to tell the kids about what's going on. On one hand, I want to tell them but on the other I don't want to scar them for life. I don't want to be absent from their lives and they hate me for it. I don't want to leave her to raise them without me, no matter how long my sentence is.

At first, we thought this was being handled as a felony but I lucked up and it's being categorized as a misdemeanor. Since it's a misdemeanor, the max I could go to jail for is 1 year if I'm found guilty. That raised a huge weight off my shoulders because when we were thinking I was getting charged with a felony, I was looking at 4 years max. I have Paul to thank for that, thank god, he's good at what he does.

Today we've been going down a list of people to use as a character witness. The best person we both feel would be to use Hanna. Hanna and I were together and have known each other for a long enough time that she's a good fit. I also picked her because Hanna has never really seen my temper in all these years so if she's questioned about if I'm a violent person, she can answer no honestly and they can't grill her on anything. Only thing is, she has to know some of why I'm going to court. I also got lucky because that bastard has a shitty lawyer. Paul told me that he could also charge me with great bodily injury or some shit because I did cause injury but the only thing I'm getting charged with is the assault.

The fucking idiot probably has one of his idiot frat brothers or something representing him, which works in my favor. Mani has been acting better but she's still been sick on and off for the last few days. I think it's because she finally got a date for when she's supposed to go on trial against this asshole. She doesn't have to go until the beginning of next month so that gives her some time to relax about it hopefully.

As I suspected, Normani was going to try to bury herself in my case. I had Aiden distract her since she just couldn't help herself. Aiden has been an amazing support system and I'm so proud of him for stepping up and being there for her. I know she will be okay with him around if anything happens to me.

I just left lunch with Paul and he put my mind at ease for now. I'm on my way home right now and I'm hoping to just lay with Mani for a while. Mani's job gave her an entire month off with pay after what happened. The firm has also put new rules in place if working late and installed cameras almost everywhere. It made her feel like she'll be safer once she goes back and I'm glad.

Mani's P.O.V.

My first session with my therapist was…amazing. I didn't tell Lauren I was going today but I'm not purposely hiding it, I just forgot to tell her when I was going. I'm thinking I should have done this a while ago, just to express myself to someone who's an outsider looking in. I feel good today, I feel like myself.