Chapter 40

Lauren's P.O.V.

Sweet, Sweet freedom! Jesus that fucking hell hole should burn down. I'm fucking starving and I seriously need a shower. I have to call Paul on Monday to see when my court date is so I'm going to try and enjoy the weekend with my family. I haven't been able to talk to Mani really. I was able to tell her what time I needed to be picked up and ask if she was okay. She doesn't sound like anything...almost like nothing happened. I don't know if that's good or bad but I can't wait to see her. I feel like shit that I couldn't be there when she needed me and now we have to come up with a plan in case this trial goes south for me.

I don't know how I would feel if I were in Mani's shoes. If I found out I was drugged and...how do you even take that? I'd probably be a paranoid freak half the time and pissed off the other half. Nomani might shut down emotionally...I don't know what I'm going to have to deal with but I'll help her get through it.

I still can't believe this piece of shit scum bag is really pressing charges against me. How more disgusting can you get? You deserve worse than what I gave you. If I see that bastard again, I might just finish the fucking job. I'm trying not to be so angry right now because Mani still needs me. My family still needs me. I sigh in relief as I see that familiar power blue convertible turn the corner with my seconds favorite person behind the steering wheel. Ally pulls in front of me and I quickly hop in the front seat.

"Hey Lo, are you okay?" She asks as she quickly pulls me into a bone crushing hug. I appreciate the sentiment and return the hug.

"I've been better but I'm glad I'm going home. Where's Mani?" I ask as I look in the backseat to see little Chelsea asleep in her car seat, pacifier in mouth.

"Home. Mani barely slept last night. It was like I had two newborns. She didn't really fall asleep until 6:30 this morning so I let her sleep." Ally answers as she begins to drive again. I nod my head and look out at the passing buildings.

"Where's your taller half?" I ask.

"Work." She responds.

Ally and I continue to talk on the way to my house but I can't say I really focused on any of it. We talked about the trial, Mani and all the other unfortunate events that have occurred in my life recently but I can't stop myself from thinking about my possible future. What if I really go to prison? I'll miss so much. What will my kids think of me? What will happen with Aiden? Does a living will apply if I'm not dead but just unable to parent? UGH. I just want my life back before that bitch showed up again.

Ally drops me off at home and tells me she's going to call me later. I say goodbye to her and walk to my front door. Before I put the key in the lock, I hear the door opening. Next thing I know I'm being knocked back slightly by one overly strong football player.

"I need to breathe." I say and he lightens his grip around my stomach. I hug him back and he rests his head on my shoulder.

"I didn't know you liked me this much." I tell him and he chuckles softly.

"I didn't either." His grips tightens once again and I give in and try to match his intensity.

"Can I actually go in the house now?" I ask and Aiden pulls away from the hug.

"Thanks." I say as I move past him. I'm not able to get far though since Mani is standing in the doorway. I'm not sure what I should say to her so I smile softly at her as I close the distance between us. She wraps her arms around my neck and I wrap mine around her waist. Mani's grip around me could compare to Aiden's. I pull her as close as humanly possible and bury my head in her neck. She smells like home...