Chapter Twenty Eight- This Little Light of Mine

Christine's POV

I lifted my eyelids and stretched, taking a nap works wonders. I sat up and fixed myself, re-pinning my hair into place and putting my corset and dress back on. I left the bedroom and peeked into the music room, I had my suspicions Erik would be in there. I was right, he sat at the piano working on another song, from what I could hear it sounded absolutely wonderful. I left him to be so he could work and went to check on my daughter. She wasn't in her room so I checked the library, it was her favorite place to be beside the music room. I saw her laying on the couch holding a book over her head, Cecile rested on the window sill above her. I raised my eyebrow and walked into the room from the doorway.

"And what are you reading?" I asked standing over her

"The Three Musketeers." She said sitting up to make room for me

"Haven't you read that already." I laughed

"Yes, but it's my favorite." She closed the book and set it on the table, "Are you feeling better?" She asked

She has always been such a bright child.

"Much, thank you, darling." I looked over at the clock and saw that it was nearing noon, "Perhaps it is time for lunch? Your papa will be home shortly anyways. Would you care to join me in the kitchen?"

"I would love to." She pushed herself off of the couch and bounced as she walked towards the kitchen

I stood myself and followed, "Okay my dear, what would you like for lunch?" I said opening the icebox, "How about, some sandwiches?"

"Sounds good." Ava said standing by the counter

I pulled out some vegetables and cheese and set them on the counter, "Ava dear would you like to cut the cheese and tomato for me?"

"Yes, mother." She carefully picked a knife out of the block and began to cut the cheese into slices

As she did I placed a pot of water to boil for a few minutes. While waiting I cut some bread and tore some lettuce from the head. I built three sandwiches allowing Ava to put the cheese and tomato on as she cut them. Erik would be getting home shortly and I wanted to have his lunch ready for when he arrived.

As the water was beginning to boil I grabbed the box of tea from the counter and took it to the table

Bending down to pick it up, my head began to pound I had to grab the chair to keep my balance. I stood for a moment with my eyes closed taking deep breaths. Once I regained my balance I returned to the kitchen.

"Darling if you are going to sneak sweets be cautious as to where you leave the wrappers." I held out the wrapping towards her

"Sorry mother." She laughed and took the wrapper throwing it into the bin

"How are my two favorite ladies this afternoon?" Erik returned home and placed his cloak on the hook by the door

"Hello, angel." I placed a kiss on his cheek which was accepted graciously, "You're just in time for lunch. That is if Ava is still hungry, you little sweet thief." I teased

My daughter gave an offended look and giggled while skipping to the table.

"And you were caught! Are you sure she's my daughter", he laughed, "well I have a lot to teach you then."

Ava laughed and bounced into her seat. I set the plates onto the table and kissed my husband's cheek. I poured the hot water into three cups and placed them beside the plates.

"How was your day my angel? Are you feeling better?" He asked

"Yes, still a bit of a headache but overall much better." I smiled and sat beside him

I ate nearly half of my lunch before my stomach began to churn. My husband could sense that I was uncomfortable, "Why don't you go lay down darling, I'll clean up." He said touching my leg under the table

"Okay, that you dear." I patted his hand and stood which must have been too quickly as I felt my throat beginning to burn I knew what was about to happen

I made it to the bin just in time to empty the contents of my stomach. I sat back and wiped my face, this has been happening at least once every day this week.

"Christine, perhaps you should see a doctor. I don't like to see you in this condition." Erik said kneeling next to me

"Maybe that isn't a terrible idea." I said

Erik helped me stand, "I'll call the doctor's office and get an appointment." He kissed my head and went to his office where the telephone was

He was in there for quite some time before he came back out. "I got you an appointment for two o'clock, and I called Madame Giry to see if she would watch Ava which she was happy to."

I called Ava into the parlor from whatever she was doing.

"Ava, papa, and I are going out for a while. I already called Madame Giry so she knows to expect you. Go get your shoes on and we can go."

Ava met us at the door and put her coat on. We chose to walk today since we had some time before the actual appointment. We dropped her off at the Giry's apartment and thanked her again.

I entwined my fingers with him as we walked down the roads. Everyone around here knew who he was, Mister Y the man who brought joy to thousands. Not the phantom. He was greeted with hellos and smiles, no one stared or whispered about the mask. It made me elated to see him treated this way. As before he couldn't even leave the Opera House without being harassed or stared at.

We arrived at the Doctors office and checked in, "Hello we have an appointment with Doctor Anderson, for Destler."

"Alright sir, I'll let the doctor know you are here and get you in as soon as possible."

We thanked her and sat in the chairs across from the desk. I rested my head on Erik's shoulder, and he wrapped an arm around me.

"I love you, so so much." I muttered

"I love you just as much angel." He kissed the top of my head

I breathed in the scent of his cologne and relaxed. I had a suspicion as to what was going on with me but I don't want to get my hopes up. Many people around the park have been getting sick recently so maybe I just caught a bug.

"Christine, I can take you back now." The nurse spoke cheerfully

We stood and walked behind the nurse to the exam room. I set on the exam table and Erik stood beside me holding onto my hand tightly. 

The door opened and a man knocked on the frame, "Christine, I'm Doctor Anderson. What brings you in today?" He asked kindly

"Well, over the past few days I've been feeling extremely ill. Tired and unable to eat anything more than a sandwich a day."

He noted what I said. He asked me a few more questions such as if I've been around anyone ill and when my last menstrual cycle was.

I thought for a minute. I've been so busy lately that I didn't even realize I hadn't gotten my period. "Oh it's been about I think three months now that I think about it."

"Mrs. Destler is there any chance you could be pregnant?" He asked

"Well," I looked towards Erik who looked just as surprised, "yes there could be a possibility."

"Okay, I'm going to run a pregnancy test. You're going to have to undress, you can leave your slip though. I'll step out of the room." He smiled at Erik and me and left the room.

I took my dress and corset off staying in only my slip. I laid on the exam table. Dr. Anderson knocked on the door and we gave him the okay to come in. He felt around my stomach and used a stethoscope to listen to my stomach. He moved back with a smile, "Well Mrs. Destler, there is no doubt that you're with child."

A feeling of pure bliss filled my body and I turned to my husband who seemed to be in shock. I squeezed his hand and he smiled.

This is amazing!