Chapter Twenty three - Someone like you

July 25th 1882

Meg
____

Nadir and I, with my mothers blessing, have been courting for almost a month now.

He has already asked me to be his date to Christine and Eriks wedding, which I accepted of course. We are going out again tonight, nothing much just on a walk on the pier and maybe some dinner. I was rehearsing for most of the day, though I didn't really do ballet anymore for the shows mother still pushed me to pratice. My legs and feet ached but it didn't bother me much, my hair was down the front parts tied back with a black ribbon that matched my outfit. It moved behind me as I moved humming the melody to a song trying to keep pace.

I stopped for a moment to catch my breath the clock on the wall showed that it was a few minutes after four. Nadir and I would be going out at five thirty so I needed to get ready. Sitting on the wooden bench and taking off my shoes eased the stinging in my muscles. I put them into a bag and pulled out a pair of worn out flats and put them on before collecting the rest of my things and leaving. I stopped by my mothers office quickly to tell her I would be leaving.

"Mother, I'm getting ready to leave."

"Yes dear, you have a good time. But remember you have rehearsal tomorrow, eight am sharp."

"Yes, mother." I spoke before I shut the door and let out an exasperated sigh

Since there was a big concert coming up soon mother has been pushing us all, having rehearsal six days a week unlike the usual five. I went out back to the stables and took a carriage back to the apartment my mother and I shared. I paid the driver when he left me off and entered the building taking my time. After entering my bedroom I began to get ready changing out of my dance clothing and washing up. Wrapping myself in a rode I began to look through my wardrobe to find a suitable outfit. I pulled out a short sleeve blue dress with white trimming that I had only worn once before.

I dressed myself and sat at the vanity. I applied a small amount of blush and painted my lips a light pink color. I brushed through my hair, choosing to leave it down. I looked myself over quickly as the time came closer to five thirty. I was finished getting ready and all that was left was to wait for him to arrive which wasn't long at all. He knocked on the door a few times before I was able to get there,

"Hello." I said tucking a few hairs behind my ear

"Hello as well. You look lovely this evening Meg." He complemented

"As do you. Shall we go?"

"We shall." He offered his arm which I took

We left my home and went our way. He had confirmed that we were going out for dinner at a small cafe on the pier and then for a mid evening stroll. We chose to walk since it was such a beautiful day and the weather wasn't too hot.

He held the door for me when we arrived at the cafe, we took a window seat looking out towards the street. We placed our drink order, myself getting water and Nadir getting coffee.

"How have you been Meg, you seem stressed." He asked and I sighed

"Rehearsals have been longer, with shorter breaks. But I'm fine nothing I'm not used to. What about you, any news on when the next concert is?" I asked

"We are still figuring that out. I assume you will be performing, and I can't wait."

I let out an airy laugh, "I'll probaly just be in the ballet number, not the leading act."

"Meg, that doesn't matter. Do what makes you happy, and dancing makes you happier then singing, I can tell."

"Lets not talk about that, it's not really my decision anyways." I said sipping my drink

We placed our dinner orders and continued to talk. We got talking about our hobbies outside of the workplace. He discussed how he would go riding sometimes, and how he liked to travel before having the responsibility of (co) owning a business. I told him how I go for a swim in the mornings and go to rehearsal in the afternoons. About how when the weather gets colder I try to ice skate. He sat silently While I talked. Paying attention to the words I said.

We got our food and began to eat, I told him a few stories of my first winter in New York before we associated with each other.

He paid for our meal and we left. The pier was busy but that didn't phase us.

He held my hand as we walked and I smiled.

I'm happy. Happier then I've been in a long time.

___
Erik
------

I sat at my desk continuing to fill out checks for the bills, Christine sat on the sofa looking through a pile of music.

"Ava's birthday is coming soon, I was thinking of having a small party. Maybe invite those kids she's been spending time with." Christine said still looking through the pile

"We can go out later and get a gift. Has she mentioned anything she wanted?" I asked looking up towards my future wife

"She mentioned that she wanted a pet, but I dont think thats a good idea right now. I was just going to give her some money."

"Thats fine, she can get what she wants then."

I put my signature on the last slip of paper setting it aside with the rest, and leaning my head back. I took a breath and looked back up, "It's getting late we should probably get ready to leave."

The clock read eight twenty eight, I usually get off at eight thirty but I'm sure two minutes won't matter. I cleaned up my work space putting everything away while Christine got my coat from the closet, I stood and took it from her putting it on "Thank you.". I leaned over and placed a light kiss on the top of her head.

I called for my carrige while Christine fetched Ava. Christine and Ava got into the back while I got into the front seat also and grabbed the reigns, and we left to our house. By the time we got there Ava was noticably tired so we sent her to get ready for bed.

Christine and I sat at the kitchen table, she got us both a glass of water. We sat in a content scilence for a moment, "Have I ever mentioned how beautiful you are angel?" I spoke looking into her chocolate brown eyes

"So I've heard, and have I mentioned how handsome you are?" I laughed slightly causing my Christine to glare at me

Christine stood and walked behind me placing her hands on my shoulders I relaxed at the touch, "I'm going to get cleaned up and take a bath if you would like to join me."

"Now that isn't very appropriate now is it angel, we aren't even married." I chuckled smiling up at her

She laughed and shook her head placing a light kiss on my cheek and walking away. I sighed and followed her.