Chapter Twenty Seven - Life Goes On

February 21, 1883

__
Erik
__

If one year ago someone had told me that Christine Daaé would be my wife, I would have called them mad. Yet here I am laying in bed next to my beautiful wife as our daughter slept down the hall.

I looked at her soft features. Her looks haven't seemed to change one bit in the last eleven years. I am still astonished that someone as beautiful as her, would ever love someone like me. Still, I smiled.

"What are you doing?" Christine asked in a sleepy voice her soft brown eyes meeting my cold green ones

"You're beautiful," I spoke placing a hand on her cheek

"So are you." She returned the gesture running her fingertips over my scarred face

I rest my forehead against hers and left a small kiss on the tip of her nose. She giggled as a response.

"I love you," I told her

"I love you too."

She laughed and rolled to the other side of the bed before standing up and stretching, letting her hair fall down her back. God, I love this woman. I moved behind her and warped my arms around her waist hugging her close to me. I placed kisses down her neck and she spoke softly,

"I have to get dressed."

"Yes, yes. Though I wouldn't complain if you were to stay in that all day." I mentioned her knee-length transparent nightgown

"I know you wouldn't, but I'm sure Madame Giry would as she, Meg, and Nadir are coming over at any minute for breakfast at nine, and it is eight-thirty right now."

I looked over at the wall clock, and like she said it was eight-thirty four. Which was an hour later than we usually slept.

"Well then my dear, you better get changed."

I laid another kiss on her head and left her to change. I grabbed myself an outfit and went into the bathroom connected to our room to finish getting ready. I brush my teeth and hair.

Christine has gotten me into the habit of washing my face multiple times a day, to keep it clean. It has helped it become more comfortable, and it looks slightly better. I change out of my nightclothes and into my day wear.

"Erik, everyone is here," Christine said peeking her head into the room

"I'll be out in a second," I replied slipping my mask on

I still don't feel comfortable with it off in front of other people I only leave it off in front of Christine and sometimes Ava even though she assures me that it is okay.

"We'll be out in the dining room." She said before shutting the door and leaving

I find my suit jacket and slip it on. I exit my room and down the hall to the double doors that led to the dining room.

Ava sat on the floor near the lit fireplace petting Cecile and feeding her some treats. Ever since we brought the animal home shes had a strong bond with Ava, preferring her over anyone else. The kitten has grown quite a bit over the past few months but is still so calm and sweet as she was when we got her.
__

December 25th, 1882

"Close your eyes and hold out your hands, you have one more present," I said

Ava did as I asked and I set the small animal in her hands, she opened her eyes with joy as the kitten sniffed her hand and tried to move around.

Christine and I spent months trying to find Ava a Christmas present, as the only thing she asked for was a pet. Not that we didn't want a pet, we had the room for one but we didn't think Ava would be responsible enough for one. But after thinking for a while we decided to get her a kitten and see how she would take care of it.

"Thank you, papa! I love her." She exclaimed holding the black and grey kitten close to her and kissing its head

"What's her name dear?" Christine asked

Ava thought for a moment before answering, "I like the name, Cecile."

"That's a wonderful name," Christine said looking at the small ball of fluff with a smile

"I love her so much, thank you, mama, thank you, papa."

_

"Madame Giry, Meg, Nadir." I greeted sitting next to my wife

"Erik, how are you doing today?" Madame asked

"Wonderful." I smiled receiving a cup of tea from Christine

"Christine dear are you alright?" Madame asked noting Christine's tired eyes

"Yes Madame I'm fine, I am just tired between auditions and preparations for the season we've been busy."

Christine has been helping out with the auditions and preparations for the new season, we have spent many nights recently trying to figure everything out, so it's no surprise she's tired.

"Alright, dear. Get some sleep after we leave, you've been working too hard." Madame said before taking a sip of her tea

I noticed Meg shift in her seat, and glance towards Nadir who returned the stare. Whatever that was about.

We chatted for another hour, Madame talked to Ava about school and starting dance lessons, which she denied saying she wanted to focus on piano. Ava had mentioned that she wanted to see her friends again, go back to Paris for a while. As much as I wanted to go back as well we couldn't, and it killed me seeing her so upset when we said no. Neither Christine or I want to give her the real reason why.

"Now this was lovely, but we must get back to the theater for practice, the new dancers still have a good bit of work to do. Goodbye Christine," Christine hugged Madame then Meg, "Erik. Goodbye to you too Ava."

"Goodbye Madame, goodbye aunt Meg," Ava responded waving from her seat

We sat at the table for a while longer after they left, Ava went back inside with Cecile. I flipped through the pages of the newspaper not seeing anything too interesting I folded it up and tucked it under my arm. Christine and I stood and she began to clean up our dishes, "Angel allow me." I said taking the tray from her

"Thank you, darling."

"Don't worry about it, you go rest I'll wash these." She smiled and placed a kiss on my cheek

I carried the tray into the kitchen and washed the dishes setting them out to dry. Once I finished I headed towards the music room to work on the song Christine will sing on opening day.