Chapter fourteen - Revelations

June 14 1882

Ava

__

I got board with the piano after some time and wanted to explore the rest of the theater. I know I should have waited for my mother but I had the chance to sneak away while father was distracted by the dancers. I wandered backstage where the offices and dressing rooms are. Parts of sets and costumes lined the halls and painting hung on the walls. Dancers and stage hands walked through the halls talking or giving each other orders. I was stunned by everything I saw, I have never been to an actual theater let alone backstage at one. I soon realized I had gone farther then I intended to and I didn't know my way back to the stage.

There was a sign that read offices, so I went down the hall hoping someone would tell me where to go. I knocked on the first few doors and waited for a response, when no one spoke or opened the door I moved farther down the hall. I saw the door at the end of the hall read, Manager, so I knocked on it hoping someone would answer.

Luckily someone called from inside, "Come in."

I turned the door knob pushing the door open, "I'm sorry if I am bothering you Monsieur, but I seem to have gotten lost and don't know my way back to the stage. Would you mind showing me back?"

The man looked up from his desk and I immediately recognized him as Erik, the man mother was talking to last night. It was easy, since he wore the same mask as he did last night. I assume its part of a costume or act so I don't think much of it.

"Yes of course." He replied standing from the desk, "It is easy to get lost when you don't know your way around."

I thanked him and we exited the office walking down the halls going through some halls I recognized and some I didn't.

"You are the Viscountess de Changys daughter correct?" He asked

"Yes Monsieur."

"What were you doing backstage alone?"

I answered truthfully, "I was bored, my parents were distracted and I wanted to explore for a while. I went farther then I intended to and got lost."

We continued through the maze of halls, "Monsieur I think your park is very beautiful." I complimented

"Thank you," he seemed confused, "not many people see the beauty in it."

"Well I do, and I think it's lovely." I smiled as we got back to the stage

______
Erik
____

I left the child off at the stage. She thanked me for showing her the way and walked off waving good bye. Though the lace on her dress sleeves fell back to reveal marks, scars almost.

"It's a birthmark." She pulled the cloth down quickly and hurried off

I watched as she sat in tge seats and began to pull her sleeves down to cover them.

I turned and began basck to my office thinking about the child and began to suspect that her mother knew something about her that she wasn't sharing. While in my dase of thought I bumped into someone, I shook my thoughts away and looked down to see Christine looking up at me.

___
Christine
___

I walked through the backstage area calling for my daughter, I also managed to loose Meg at some point.

"Christine, how nice to see you." I looked up to see Erik even though I wanted to avoid him

"My daughter, she wandered off. Have you seen her?"

"Yes she asked for directions back to the stage that is where I took her.

"Thank you." I turned and began to walk away

"Christine, may I - may I speak with you for a moment in my office."

"I really should get back -"

"Christine," he paused, "is that my child?" Erik asked slowly

I turned around trying my best to hide the nervous look that was obvious on my face.

"W-what of course not. Why would you think that?"

"Would you like to continue this discussion in my office?" I agreed and followed him into the room, "Unlike your husband, I am not an idiot. I put two and two together." He said once the door was shut

"You were never supposed to find out. No one was supposed to find out." I sat on the couch and placed my head in my hands

I was stressing out about this how would things change now that my secret was no longer my own. Would he want to meet her properly, would I have to tell her, and ruin my marriage more then it already is?

"No one has to. A secret is a secret," he opened a drawer on his desk and pulled out an envelope, "take this and leave, you are free of our contract and do not have to sing. This contains your payment I wish for you to take it so your family will no longer be in debt."

I took the envelope and looked at at not knowing what to do with it, "Thank you, but no thank you. I made a promise and I intend to keep it. I will accept the payment when the performance is over."

I laid the envelope on the couch and stood, "Good day Monsieur." I said fixing my posture and moving to the door

"Good day Madame."

After I exited the room I retraced my steps back to the stage area. Ava sat in the seats pulling at the lace on her sleeves. I looked at my child thankful she was alright.

"Ava, please do not wonder off like that again. You scared me." I approched her

"I'm sorry mother." She put her head down not wanting to look me in the eyes

"It's alright dear, just do not do it again."

I took her hand and we left the theater meeting up with Raoul in the carraige and going back to the hotel.