Chapter nine - A debt

June 4th 1882

Christine's POV

__

"Raoul stop! I can assure she will not ask again." I told him as he was getting ready to hit me

I moved backwards from the force, keeping my balance I avoided eye contact keeping my head down. He got mad because Avaline, whom we call Ava for short, had once again asked to get piano lessons. She loves music, she's always wanted to sing and dance ever since she was a toddler. Raoul would, when he wasn't drunk maybe twice a month, get into large arguments with me about it. He said music was the reason for his drinking, that music was a reminder of the past.

"Make sure it doesn't happen again." He growls as he slams the door.

I nod and sit on the chair. A single tear rolls down my cheek as Ava walks in. I want her to be happy, but what makes her happy makes Raoul angry.

"It's okay mother. There is no reason to cry." She says trying to soothe me.

"It's alright darling, don't worry I'm fine. I promise." I wipe my eyes not wanting her to see me like this

"No, it's my fault you shouldn't have to get punished because of me." She sits next to me

"Let's not talk about this now dear." I say placing a hand on her cheek wiping away fallen tears.

"Oh, this was left in the mail it's for you." She hands me a letter

I thank her and open the envelope.

'Ms. Daae,

The opening season of my theater is arriving quickly and I hear you have a wonderful voice. My theater is located in the theme park Phantasma I would appreciate it if you would accept my offer and come sing at the opening night of the season. I will pay you greatly for I have heard that your family is in debt. I have enclosed three tickets to America. I hope to see you there.

Mister Y'

A smile appears on my face. This offer would allow me to sing again and help bring in more money, which Raoul would just gamble away most likely. All I would have to do is convince him to allow me to accept the offer.

The only issue would be the language difference, but we all knew enough English.

Ava was peering over my shoulder trying to read the letter as well.

"I'm going to show this to your father. Stay here." I say

"Yes mother." She says

I walk out of the room shutting the door behind me. I make my way to Raoul's office. I take a deep breath before entering.

"Raoul darling?" I call

"What, are you here to apologize." He slurs

Apologize for what?

He sat at his desk sipping a glass of what I can only guess is whisky due to the smell

"No. This came in the mail for me. It's a letter asking me to come sing at this theater for opening season. They say they will pay us greatly."

He walks over and rips the paper from my hand. As he's reading it I can see the anger in his eyes calm down.

"America? Let's do it go get packed." He shoves the letter back into my hands and kicks me out. For once we didn't fight about anything.

I doubt it was because he actually wanted to go to America or spend time with us. He was more concerned with the money we would be gaining with this job.

When I get back to my room I see Ava attempting to fix her hair. I laugh a little as she struggles to pin up long strands of her dark hair.

"Mother I didn't know you where there." Ava laughed placing my brush back on the table

"It's alright dear, come sit." I said picking the brush up and running it through her think hair

"What did father say about the letter?" She asked

"Your father is allowing us to take the offer. We're leaving in a few days." She smiles and hugs me

"Really, I'm so excited. I've heard of the place before, Audrey went there she said it was magnificent."

"Really? Then I guess we'll take her word for it. How about you start packing?"

"Okay mother." She gets up and dashes to her room.

She's such an energetic child it's hard to keep up.