Chapter One - The Final Lair

August 19th 1871

Christine's POV

__

"Angel of music you deceived me I gave my mind blindly!" I screamed across the room

"You try my patience make your choice!" He hissed as he pulls the rope around Raouls neck tighter

"Pitiful creature of darkness what kind of life have you know" I softly spoke as I approach him "God give me courage to show you are not alone." I slipped the ring he gave me onto my finger showing him that I chose to stay and kissed him.

I wasn't planning on kissing him, but I did and I don't know why. It felt different; so much different then when I kissed Raoul. When I kissed the phantom, everything changed. It felt like it was supposed to happen. I don't know what I'm feeling I've never felt like this before. I broke away and looked at him.

He was crying.

I leaned back in, placing my lips on his once again and that feeling grew, a warm sensation spread over my body and I didn't want to move. No it can't be it's not. I can't be in love with him I just can't. When I broke away this time when I looked in his tear filled, sea green eyes I knew. I'm in love with this man.

He stepped back and looked at me, his eyes held many emotions, though confusion masked them all. He dropped the rope, letting it hit the water with a soft splash.

"Take him forget me, forget all of this." He moved away towards the steps leading to his home. "Go now don't let them find you." I watched with a sorrowful look falling over my face

"Christine don't just stand there untie me!" I ran over and untied him. He pulled me into a hug. I pushed him away and looked behind me at my angel.

"Go now! Leave me!"

Raoul pulled me towards the boat, he used the oar to move us away from the dock when I stopped him, "Raoul stop. Let me give this back at least." I said showing him the ring

"Christine,"

"Please."

He nodded, I stepped out of the boat and made my way into the room my angel disappeared into.

A soft singing came from inside, the heavenly voice that only belonged to him.

"Masquerade paper faces on parade, masquerade, hide your face so the world will never find you."

I felt a pain in my chest as I watched him. I walked closer letting my presence be known, he tilted his head so he was just barley looking at me; a soft smile graced his lips but quickly fell. He looked so weak so vulnerable. A few tears escaped my eyes and slipped down my cheeks as I took off the ring. I held it out to him watching as I let it drop from my hand to his. Before I could turn around, he grabbed my hand the sudden pressure startling me. He looked at me with sad eyes, "Christine, I love you."

He said softly, I could feel myself begin to cry, I pulled my hand away and ran out of the room. Not being able to look at the shell of a man sitting there any longer.

Raoul helped me back into the boat, not asking what happened. He pushed the oar through the water moving the boat further. As we left I looked back, the phantom stood in the entrance watching as we left.

"Say you'll share with me one love one lifetime." I sing

I don't know who I'm singing to.

My angel, the phantom

Or

Raoul

Part of me wishing Raoul will respond, the other part wishing my angel will. Silence filled the air around us for a moment before,

"Say the word and I will follow you." Raoul sings back

Maybe leaving with Raoul is the right choice. I'm happy with him, I'll be safe.

"Share each day with me each night each morning." I continue looking at Raoul knowing I made the right choice

"It's over now the music of the night!" I hear the phantom

The sound of shattering glass filled the silence, fear washed over me. Not for myself, but for the broken man I left behind.

We turn a corner and I can no longer see the lair. Raoul helps me out of the boat and through the passages which seem so much shorter now. Before we leave I told Raoul I wanted to get a photo of my father, which I do grab but I also secretly grab the red rose tied with a black ribbon off the dressing table.