Chapter thirteen - Dear Old Friends

Christine

__

We stood under the night sky embraced in each others arms, as if it were completely normal. It had been so long since I shared a meaningful kiss with someone, I couldn't help but feel a sense of comfort.

We separated, I looked into his eyes and backed away realizing that this was wrong. I was going to say something, most likely something I would regret but sounds from inside the building pulled my attention from the man on front of me. I adjusted my self and turned walking back into the room followed by Erik. Ava sat at the piano hitting a few keys with her finger,

"Ava dear, what are you doing awake?" I asked her

"I had another nightmare and I tried to look for you but I couldn't find you." She looked at me then over my shoulder towards Erik

"Ava this is my, my friend Erik. He is the owner of the park and wished to cover a few before rehearsals."

"You own this place?" She asked in wonder

"Every inch of it, perhaps if your mother agrees I could show you both around." He spoke looking at me with a sense of tenderness

"Perhaps, it's time for bed now it is getting late." I tell her placing my hand on her cheek

"Okay, I love you mother goodnight." She moved herself off the bench and shuffled back to her room. Turning back towards Erik I let out a small sigh.

"Such a child, Christine."

"Thank you now if you don't mind I have a song to learn, if you would be so kind as to leave I will see you at the performance." I say rushing him out for multiple reasons

"You are right, until the performance mon ange."

Once he leaves I let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding in. How am I possibly going to survive these next few days without tearing myself apart. I looked back at the piano holding the music I am to sing. Slowly picking up the leather bound packet I open it and look over the music. Carefully looking over the parchment I start humming the tune, it's so, beautiful, so perfect. As I get lost in the melodies I didn't even notice the door open until Raoul spoke. I look over to see him immediately sit in the arm chair.

"The blasted man is no where to be seen." He snaps

"Who are you talking about darling?" I ask taking is jacket from him and hanging it up

"This Mister Y he didn't show up. What the devil is going on in this place."

"Raoul, things have changed." I whispered not fully thinking about what I was saying

"What are you talking about?" He scowled

"Nothing dear, nothing. It's getting late, I'm going to retire for the night." I say before going into the bedroom shutting the door behind me

My thoughts were swirled from the affairs that took place less then an hour ago as I changed out of my day wear. Pulling the pins out of my hair I let it fall freely I sighed and looked into the mirror, my emotions which I had shut out for years were coming back and I didn't know how to handle it. While I sat alone it gave me time to think, what should I do? I have to sing, we need the money but what happens when I do. DO we just leave and that's it? Go back to the way it was?

My head began to pound at the thought of all this. I stood from the vanity bench and got into bed pulling the covers over my body and relaxing into the pillows. I managed to fall into a restless sleep for the rest of the night.

I woke up, the feeling of calmness before I remembered what was going on. I rolled onto my side to look at Raoul's sleeping form. It didn't feel right, we hadn't actually shared a bed in years so it was unusual for me to wake up next to someone. I pushed the thoughts of my unhappy marriage aside and got out of bed, It was just after seven thirty, I grabbed my dressing gown and put it on tying it tightly before beginning to get ready I pulled out the first dress I saw not caring which it was and hung it on the changing screen. I went back over to the closet and go Raoul's clothing out as well and laid it on the bed. I walked behind the screen to get changed.