Chapter seventeen - Devil Take The Hindmost

June 16 1882

Erik
__

I watched as that fop stumbled into the bar once again. I knew there was no way he was going to let Christine stay once he found out I hired her, but I knew one way. A bet, knowing him, he won't refuse. I waited until he was distracted to switch places with the current bar tender.

He sipped the liquid

"One more." He mumbled, I didn't respond, "One more I said!" Still I didn't respond, "Oh forget it!"

"Y-you." He stuttered, I laugh at the look on his face, "w-what are you doing here!" He backs away from the bar.

"What am I doing here?" I mock, "I own the place I can be where ever I want to be." I laugh

"No, you are supposed to be dead." He spats, I step out from behind the bar closer to him, "stay back, I-I'll kill you I've bested you before!"

"Of course, but that, was a long time ago viscount and we were playing a different game."

"How so?" He asked, "It's no different now then it was then, Christine chose me, she married me." He spat

"How do you know she chose you, she may have married you, but we both know she's mine."

"You truly believe you own more of her soul then I do? Well your wrong, she is my wife and has my child." He said proudly, I just laughed in his face

"Are you so sure? Have you even seen the child, how she looks, how she acts, much diffrent then you, correct?"

"N-no your lying! Oh god, Christine wouldn't. Your insane!"

"Am I? How about we make a deal?" I said, he thought for a moment then spoke

"What deal?"

"Let Christine choose tonight, If she sings, you lose you leave alone."

"Fine." He agrees, "If she won't, if I win?"

"I will pay off all your debts, and all of you will leave together."

"Deal." He says shaking my hand sealing the deal, I smile and turn on my heal.

"Devil take the hindmost." I whisper before leaving the building and going back to my office.

__
Christine
__

I sat in my dressing room with Ava and finished getting ready for the performance. I looked in the mirror after I finished applying the last of my makeup. I smiled as I saw the girl I once was, the night of Hannibal. After Erik found out about the fight Raoul and I had, he insisted Ava and I move to another room in the hotel. Which I was unsure about at first but soon agreed.

"Ava could you hand me those earrings please the diamond ones on the left." I ask

"Here." She hands me the jewelry and I put it in. I turn to look at her.

"How do I look?" I ask, she smiles and responds

"You look beautiful mother, just like a queen."

"Thank you, and you look beautiful too, just like a little princess." I say

"Thank you." I give her a hug as the dressing room door opens and Raoul comes inside, smiling.

"Look at you, just as beautiful as the first time I came to your dressing room." He says giving me a hug, I don't smell any alcohol, meaning he's sober. I smile at the thought.

"And look at you Raoul just like the boy in the opera box." He smiles

"Ava if you don't mind could you give us a moment?" He asks

"Of course, I'll see you at the show." She waves and leaves the room

"Please come back here after the show." I tell her before she shuts the door, I sit down at the vanity and he kneels beside me,

"Christine please, I haven't been the husband you needed,"

"Raoul please let's talk after the performance."

"No this can't wait, please Christine please leave with me, I promise I'll be better, I promise I'll be a better husband to you and father to our child, but we need to leave now. I have three tickets for a boat back to France please let's be on it, that hell spawn demon has taken over your mind again," I closed my eyes and turned from him

"Raoul please, I made a promise, I-I need to do this." I said

"Christine, I have no control over what you choose but please make the right choice." He stands up, kisses my hand, and leaves the room.

Why does he want me to leave? Can't he wait until after the performance?

I was pulled out of my thoughts when the door opened again, expecting to see Raoul again I turn only to find Erik standing there, I smile.

"You look beautiful mon ange."

"Thank you." I say blushing at the complement, he kisses my hand.

"In only moments, you'll be standing out on stage just as you did all those years ago." He said

"I'm just nervous, I haven't sang in front of a crowd in eleven years."

"Do not doubt your self angel, you will be magnificent, your voice will be as perfect as it was the first time you sang."

I moved away from him and sat back down at the vanity. I looked up at my reflection when I felt him place his hands on my shoulders. He reached into his jacket and pulled something out. It was the most beautiful necklace I've ever seen. He places it around my neck, "Oh Erik, it's beautiful. You shouldn't have."

"Now my dear, I will see you after the performance. When I will hear you sing once more." He says before leaving the room.

Once I am alone I finally have time to think.

Am I to leave with Raoul, and risk having him back out on his promise.

Or

Do I stay and perform, choosing my angel this time, choosing the life we could have had so long ago.

"Twisted every way, what answer can I give? I know I can't refuse and yet I wish I could. Oh, God." I said to myself thinking back to the first time I had to make this decision.

No.

I have to choose what is best not for myself, but for my daughter. I made that promise when she was born.

I know what I am to choose.