She Knew

She knew he wouldn't hurt her. She knew he wouldn't let go.

Only in his embrace did Lily truly believe she was safe. With his arms wrapped around her, lying or sleeping with each other and even holding hands.

She knew he wouldn't leave her.

Unlike other people in the past.

Petunia left when she found out Lily was different. When Lily was a freak. As soon as she had shown Tuney some of her magic, Tuney left her. But she didn't feel too upset about it because it was almost like Petunia was replaced by Severus. But somehow she knew that was the day her relationship with Petunia was destroyed.
Severus was her friend. He was the one who introduced her to the wizarding word. He had told her that being a muggleborn didn't matter. He was welcoming and patient with her. But only because he wanted something in return. He wanted her. Severus wanted Lily. But Severus was sorted into Slytherin. That was when their friendship started to suffer. As much time Snape spent with Lily, he spent more with his Slytherin pals. Their friendship started to crumble when Snape started talking about Voldemort.
Piece by piece Snape turned to the dark arts.
Piece by piece Lily's friendship with Snape was disappearing.

She knew he was hexing innocent people and being horrible towards halfbloods and muggleborns. Or as he liked to call them, Mudbloods.

Only when he had called her was their friendship truly over.

That day was when reality sank in for Lily.

She knew her best friend wasn't who she thought he was.

She knew she had lost her sister years ago and had done nothing to fix it.

It was all her fault. If only she was sorted into Slytherin. If only she wasn't a witch. She couldn't decide between the two. Being sorted into Slytherin or not being a witch. She was subconsciously choosing between her ex best friend and her sister who hated her.

But with James. She knew what her answer was. Her answer was being a Gryffindor and being a witch. It wasn't her fault at all. Petunia and Snape had chosen to act that way. She couldn't control their actions but she could control hers. So she stopped blaming herself and started living her life how she wanted to. Though it still hurt. Losing someone who she was awfully close to. Twice.

But she knew that it would never happen with James. Because in his arms she felt safe. All her worries and pain disapperated in his arms. She knew he wouldn't hurt her. She knew he wouldn't let go.