Fire and Rain

It wasn't often Lily heard him sing. He sometimes sang in the shower. Not when he was rushing because he was late to class but when he had time. When he had time to enjoy singing in the shower. She also heard him sing if she had a nightmare. He held her in his arms and sang softly to her.
It was after another nightmare when Lily heard his voice again. Another nightmare about her parents. How they died with Petunia yelling at her about how it was her fault. It was her fault she was a muggleborn. It was her fault she was a witch. It was her fault they were dead.
When he had heard sobs from her room he had to check on her. It was his duty. So lightly knocking on the door he entered to see Lily who was bawling her eyes out into her pillow and holding tightly onto her blanket. She glanced up as he entered quietly.

"Again?"

"Again"

Without saying anything James carefully walked over to her and sat right next to her, wrapping her in his arms.

"Just yesterday morning they let me know you were gone
Susanne the plans they made put an end to you
I walked out this morning and I wrote this song

I just can't remember who to send it to" James sang gently in Lily's ear. As soon as he started singing Lily stared at him in awe.
"I've seen fire and I've seen rain

I've seen sunny days that I thought would never end
I've seen lonely times when I could not find a friend
But I always thought that I'd see you again
"

The tears stopped and Lily leaned into his arms. It was the only place she ever felt truly safe.

"Thank you James" Lily whispered before kissing James' temple and closing her eyes, falling asleep in his arms.

Lily absolutely loved James' singing. Sometimes they sang in their common room together, dancing before falling on the floor in a burst of laughter. Their favourite song to sing together was sweet caroline, especially "Sweet caroline... BUMP BUMP BUMP". They always screamed and stomped on that part.

But it wasn't like he was a bad singer, James was naturally amazing. And Lily said he didn't sing enough but he would always grin and shrug it off.

The song was called Fire and Rain by James Taylor