I Promise

She didn't demand answers. She didn't gasp. She didn't look away.
Slowly and steadily Lily brought her hand up to his back. His breath quickened as her thumb ran smoothly over his back, his grip on his shirt tightened. Her warm touch still surprised him every time.
She observed every cut, old and new. They weren't that bad, they didn't run too deep. But it didn't mean Lily wasn't concerned.

"How long?" Lily murmured, not taking her gaze off his back.

"What?"

"How long has this been going on?". He breathed in sharply at her question and she seemed to notice.
"James. Answer me"

"Happening since fifth year" He sighed.

"Fifth year?" Lily whacked his back, enraged. James winced as she made contact with his scars.
"You prat! Why didn't you tell me?"

"You never asked"

"Oh, and what was I suppose to ask? Hey James, do you change into a stag every month to help Remus with his transformations? Oh, you do? Thanks for clearing that up"

"Lily-"

"Turn around" She demanded. James lowered his head, fiddling with his shirt.
"Bloody turn around James". He could hear the concern and desperation in her voice so he reluctantly shifted to face her.
The sight of the brand new cut made her gasp slightly. It was laced with blood and ran deep into his chest. It was slashed across his pec to the bottom of his abs.
"James-"

"I know, I know. I should go to Madam Pomfrey. But this isn't the worst she's seen and I'll be completely fine. It might hurt for a few days but nothing I can't handle"

"I was going to ask if you wanted me to heal it"

"You would do that?"

"Bloody hell. Are you sure you haven't lost your mind as well? First I'm your girlfriend and second you seem to have forgotten before the Order proposal I was planning to go into nursing"

"My own little nurse" James smiled, hazel looking into emerald.

"Well I have a feeling that I have to get used to treating your wounds"

"Nothing bad will happen to us Lils"

"But you can't promise that"

"I can promise nothing bad will happen to you"

"No, you can't! Stop making promises that are going to be broken"

"Lily-"

"We know nothing going into this war apart from the little information Dumbledore told us. We don't know what it's going to be like. We don't know who to trust. We don't know if we're safe. Heck, we don't know where we're going to live after we graduate. We don't know anything so don't you dare make promises that you can't keep"

An uncomfortable silence grew between the two. James tired and weary eyes did not leave Lily's.

"As long as I live, I promise to love you and try my very best to keep you out of harm's way. It won't be easy and many times you will have to clean my wounds. But I won't stop fighting because I have something absolutely amazing and beautiful that keeps me going. And that is you, Lily Evans, that is you. And that's a promise I will most definitely keep because I love you"

"I love you too" Lily clutched at his hand, never wanting to let go.