Love

Holding tightly, never wanting to let go. He couldn't just disappear. Not the Jame Potter. This isn't supposed to be how he died.
He's not dying Lily. Madam Pomfrey already told you this hours ago.
Truth. He wasn't dying but it felt like he was. Lying unconsciously, lifeless, short breaths that could stop at any minute. But Lily knew they wouldn't. He was getting better. Distracting herself she observed his hand which laid intertwined with her own. Even though he was getting better she held his hand as if it was his only hope of staying alive.
It's just a prank gone wrong, it could have happened to anyone.
But it happened to James.
It's going to be okay Lily. 

Is it? Can you promise that everything is going to be okay?
She kept arguing back and forth in her mind. Dry tears stained her face. She heard sharp footsteps approaching and glanced to see Madam Pomfrey strolling towards where James lay.

"He is going to be okay dear. After he wakes I'm going to check up on him again. Expected to stay another day or two. You should go get some rest or go to dinner". Lily smiled sadly but refused, insisting she had to stay with him. Madam Pomfrey nodded and shot her a sweet, small smile before walking away.

Watching his chest rise and fall, she breathed when he did. Still clutching onto his hand as intense as before. His pale, emotionless face still looked handsome. Lily brought her hand up to his face, gently running over his scars and scratches. She paused her touch at his lips.

Lying unconsciously she ran over to him. She sat on the bitter floor, cradling his head in her lap.

"JAMES!" She yelled out.
"JAMES!"

He mumbled something, barely fluttering his eyes open.

"You're going to be okay James. You're going to be okay. Stay with me" Lily pleaded her voice cracking. Tears streamed down her face. She placed her hand to his face, examining his fresh scars and scratches along his face. Lightly touched his lips, watching them let James breath go in and out. Lily wiped away the blood on his lip before being picked up.

"NO! LET ME GO!" She screamed at whoever was carrying her away from James.

"Lily. You need to calm down" Sirius's voice quivered.

"NO!" She sobbed thrashing her legs and arms around, trying to break free.
"I can't lose him" she whispered, closing her eyes, wanting to stop the tears.
"I can't lose him" She repeated

Lily pulled her hand away from his face. She replayed the flashback again and again before tightening his hand again. It was the only thing to bring her to the present.

"I can't lose you" She mumbled softly.
"I just can't"
"I wouldn't be able to sleep. To eat. I would stop caring altogether. Everything would be so pointless without you. I-" her voice trembled.
"I love you". Barely a whisper but still words. Lily wiped away new tears. She gasped softly as she felt him squeeze her hand. His eyes found her tear-filled ones. A smile broke onto his face.

"I love you too"