Always Potter

Lily and James were outside on a porch in the cold winters air. They had taken a break from dancing. Marlene, Sirius, Lily and James were having a little party since it was New Years. On the radio, they were jamming songs so they started dancing. Now it was nearly midnight with Lily and James taking a breather.

"I can't believe we are actually graduating from Hogwarts this year" James was astounded.

"I never thought I would make it" Lily admitted.

"Of course you would! Best and brightest in our year" James chuckled.

"I mean there was someone who was a very close second" Lily admitted. James smirked at her.
"Mooney certainly is smart but I'm still smarter"

"Evans you prat" James grinned, playfully shoving her away.

"I learned from the best" She teased.

"So you admit I am the best"

"Oh sod off James". James snapped towards her attentively.
"What?" She asked, wondering what his sudden interest in her was.

"You called me James"

"I've called you James before. You've just never noticed"

"When have you ever called me James?" He asked.

"Oh plenty of times, like I said you've never noticed". Lily glanced up to him. He wasn't talking but just staring at her. His gentle eyes locked with hers. A smile crawled upon his face and he carefully brought his hand to her cheek. She didn't flinch at his touch but stayed still. He tucked a strand of hair behind her ear.

"Promise that we will always keep in touch, even after Hogwarts?" James asked. Lily wore a small smile. After all of years of hatred. Of asking her out. Of constantly saying no. Of hexing and defending Snape. She would never have thought to find herself here, physically and mentally. Lily Evans was scared to lose him.

"5..4..3!" Inside the room, Sirius and Marlene had started counting down. James didn't dare take his eyes off Lily. She was the most beautiful, funny, amazing, extraordinary person to ever have met. After all the years his feelings had never changed. Repeatedly being rejected. Being called an arrogant toe rag. Her hating him. He had never once changed his feelings since the day he saw her. Her hair flowing like fire, her laugh filling the Great Hall with its wondrous sound. He was scared to lose her. He was so utterly and brutally scared to never see her again.

"2"

"Always Potter, always" Lily whispered.

"1"

Lily couldn't wait any longer. She didn't want to be just friends anymore. She wanted to laugh with him. To spend time with him. To kiss, to hold him. She stood on her tippy toes and wrapped her arms around his neck, kissing him. It took a few seconds for James to register what was happening but after he caught up he kissed her back with the same force. Shivers shook through Lily's spine as his warm touch grazed across her cheek.

"Happy New Years James" Lily whispered, pulling apart. They both wore grins like idiots.

"Happy New Years to you to Lils"

On her tippy toes, she brought a hand up to his face. Lily leaned into his ear.

"You're a decent guy, Potter" She whispered, ruffling his already messy hair. She turned around and started to walk inside.

"Oh Evans you are such a tease" James called after her. She stopped, looked back with an innocent face and winked at him before returning inside.